The mkiv Supra Owners Club

(Rant) Europeans snapping up our cars.

j_jza80

Before I start, this isn't aimed *directly* at a related thread that's currently on the go in the classifieds section :)

When the exchange rate turned to sh*t a few years ago, many of our cars started going to the mainland. I don't have a problem with this (so long as there's enough UK specs available for enthusiasts here), but what I have started noticing recently, is how tight fisted the foreign buyers are becoming. They seem to think there's a plentiful supply of top spec Supras available for very little money, and don't seem to take kindly to being politely told this is not the case.

In some instances, being told what our Supras are worth is frankly insulting. If you don't like the price of Supras here, buy one from elsewhere.

FAO Foreign buyers:

Buying a low mileage, immaculate UK spec Supra is going to be expensive. They never appear now for under £12k unless they need some work. High mileage cars will turn up, but again these are expensive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody foreigners... always coming over here, taking our jobs and drinking our beer. I'm sick of them.

:D It's not one of those threads

I suspect a few of you are getting thw wrong end of the stick :) I'm not ranting about them buying up all the cars, it's that they reckong they can get top spec cars for very little, when it simply isn't true.

I had a few frankly insulting offers on my single, a french chap who kept telling me i'd never get more than £10k for my car :D I politely told him where to go.

Bloody foreigners... always coming over here, taking our jobs and drinking our beer. I'm sick of them.

I dont want to work behind a bar anyway ;) :D IMO, most of the European buyers tend to be the best customers and can afford the highest spec cars. Do Luck Supra anyone? Besides, its a buyers market, if you need the cash you might go below the accepted value.

Who cares? are you a racist or something? our cars? they came from japan mate, uk specs to bud, theres a few uk specs on the japanese roads before you say anything to. Anyway were part of the eu so they dont go abroad, techincally:D now you know how the young japanese enthusiats felt as they couldnt have one until they were alot older...when they can get one they have to pick the crappy ones becuase all the FOREIGN UK buyers took them out of japan.

To be honset, who ever calls with the money gets it, im selling it becuase i dont want it anymore, cant pick owners who will keep it in the country, and people risk being rude just to save their money, thats how it is nowdays. rant over!:D

Who cares? are you a racist or something? our cars? they came from japan mate, uk specs to bud, theres a few uk specs on the japanese roads before you say anything to. Anyway were part of the eu so they dont go abroad, techincally:D now you know how the young japanese enthusiats felt as they couldnt have one until they were alot older...when they can get one they have to pick the crappy ones becuase all the FOREIGN UK buyers took them out of japan.

To be honset, who ever calls with the money gets it, im selling it becuase i dont want it anymore, cant pick owners who will keep it in the country, and people risk being rude just to save their money, thats how it is nowdays. rant over!:D

I suggest you read my posts again ;)

On the other side of the coin it may have pushed prices up a bit, 2 or 3 years ago there was lots of TT6's about in the £6-7k range, i paid £6750 for my 30,000 mile TT6 almost 3 years back from a club member, good luck finding a car like that for under 10k these days.

I think you're definately right, it's just the foreign buyers haven't been paying attention.

Yeah I think the Market has got to the point there is so many tatty examples that the people who want a good one are willing to pay more, the price of a good car is going up and up the price of a bad one is going down.

I got my uk for 7.5k 3 years ago, if I remember rightly. Once my spring refresh is done I doubt I would let it go for less than 9k. Unless i saw something i wanted and they were up for a swap, Sure it's done 157k miles but it's well looked after and still very reliable.

When I sell a car I don't do the whole Near offer thing. The price is the price for what it is. It really annoys me when someone says "oh there is a tiny scratch on the door" and tries to knock 200 quid off your price. I know the car inside and out. I know that scratch exists and it was taken into account in the original price. If they don't like it I'll have it repaired and they can pay me whatever it cost me to have put right.

I might do a what's it worth thread and find out what people would pay

I'm the same buying cars if it's a reasonable price I'll pay it. If not then it's an indication to go elsewhere.

The only time I've reduced the price of a car was when someone bumped the corner of the bumper a few days before I sold it.

Before you make it too hard on the french folks, I do agree they have a really bad negociating habit.

Even here, the offers they make are sometimes just hilarious...

I sold my silver TT auto to a french guy, very easy deal for me, meet him at my local train station, 10 min passenger ride and he paid the full asking price and drove away.