The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Calipers - Powdercoat or Paint?

Kilps

I think I've decided I want my brake calipers to be red, but I don't know whether I'd be best to get them painted or powdercoated.

What are the pros, cons and things to consider for both? What sort of money should I be looking at? Would the calipers need to be stripped down and refurbed to do this or can either be done with them in one piece (but detached from the car, obviously!)?

I've found a couple of examples and can't see a whole lot of difference.

Powdercoated

Image pinched from magictorch - hope you don't mind

Painted

attachment.php?attachmentid=118668&d=1286738641

Image pinched from spiderpigcity - hope you don't mind

Any help / suggestions would be gratefully received :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've painted loads before, on the car. All of them have turned out very well and lasted well. I'd say the powder coating will leave a slightly nicer, smoother finish. But you would need to strip them down and in which case you might as well refurb them to. So a more expensive exercise, but better in the long run.

Guest wantthatone

i opted for powder coating mine, then a full refurb, however the guys powder coating were'nt realy that bothered, they did'nt plug holes etc. it became a nightmare, theres a guy on here that will strip down your calipers, powdercoat them in a choice of your colour then fully rebuild using new parts. £160 delivered back to you...... powder coated is a nice finish....

i am stripping a set of UK calipers at the moment and i want to powder coat them black and use the ubernine decals off ebay ive got the seal kit for the front calipers but i am not sure if there is anything else i need

does any one have pics of a caliper with the pistons out ? or even an exploded view of a caliper ?

I used caliper paint about 8 years ago and they still look like new, can't see the point in powder coating tbh. Also the finish is as good, no brush marks and an even finish. I'd say save your pennies and go with paint. Hammerite smooth also does the job well.

Hammerite smooth for the win. Don't use any cheap alternatives and I wouldn't even bother with "Caliper paint". I find the stuff that halfords sells to be crap, takes ages to dry is very very runny and doesn't stand up to -15C too well lol. I used hammerite smooth and mine are still like new.

i am stripping a set of UK calipers at the moment and i want to powder coat them black and use the ubernine decals off ebay ive got the seal kit for the front calipers but i am not sure if there is anything else i need

does any one have pics of a caliper with the pistons out ? or even an exploded view of a caliper ?

Heres a pair of uk spec fronts i did, completely stripped

calipers 006.jpg

I tuaght it was best to use Hammerite BBQ paint

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_169403_langId_-1_categoryId_212593

We have an extensive range of Paints and Paint related products for sale. Hammerite Barbecue Paint is a heat resistant paint specially formulated for use on the exterior of barbecues. .

Features and Benefits:

■Colour - Black

■Durable, heat resistant protective finish

■Withstands temperatures up to 475ºC

■Resists cracking and flaking

■No primer required

■Quick drying

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Most people paint them on the car I presume; just give the visible part of the caliper a once over; do you remove the Pins/ brake pads too ?

I got the stickers off ebay; do these stay on or do you use some strong adhesive?

If you are going to do it I would suggest doing it right and taking them off the car. You can paint them in situ but it's never going to be a great job.

I took mine off the car and split them, while apart I made sure everything was as it should be, removed the pistons etc and plugged everything up. I then blasted the crap out of them so that I had a nice clean caliper to paint. I used the hammerite spray but I would recommend the brush stuff over that, the spray can be a little bit fussy with what it goes onto. The tinned stuff feels like it would paint onto candle wax lol.

If you are going to do it I would suggest doing it right and taking them off the car. You can paint them in situ but it's never going to be a great job.

I took mine off the car and split them, while apart I made sure everything was as it should be, removed the pistons etc and plugged everything up. I then blasted the crap out of them so that I had a nice clean caliper to paint. I used the hammerite spray but I would recommend the brush stuff over that, the spray can be a little bit fussy with what it goes onto. The tinned stuff feels like it would paint onto candle wax lol.

Yes but if you split them you need now seals I would think.