The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stupid Rattley Boot

Stewart10

A while back I bought some Boot Rubbers from Whifbitz thinking this would put an end to the annoying rattle in the back. However I cannot for the life of me get the old screws out, particularly the bottom ones, they are solidly screwed in. A friend said that forcing them out (by whacking them out) could change the rear shape and not worth risking. Has anyone else had this problem? And are these boot rubbers actually going to stop the rattling anyway or is it really the long strips of rubber that are more effective?

Very common problem on the older models, the bolt was changed on the laters ones (worth buying from Toyota when you replace the rubbers)

What worked for me was using a small hacksaw blade to *carefully* cut a slot in the head of the bolt so you can get a large flathead screw driver in which can apply a great deal more force than a philips allows. Others have tried head on the bolt but obviously you need to be very careful when doing this! Impact drivers also work, but I never tried it

Replacing the lower rubbers will solve the boot rattle problem, no doubt about that :) Another quick fix is to remove the uper ones and add a washer between the rubber and bolt, this forces the lid back down on the lower rubber but it'll only last a year or so, depending on how poor the lower rubbers are.

Will definitely stop the 'shopping trolley' like rattle.

Done mine late last year and after applying heat with a small butane gas torch but still rounding off the screw heads, I ended up taking about 3hrs to get them out with a set of mole grips on the head. Just make sure you don't apply too much force and end up snapping the head off the screw otherwise you'll be looking at drilling them out...