The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Issues with a Supra that I am looking at

Neil_M

Folks,

Hopefully you can help me with a Supra I am looking at purchasing.

Any feedback would be appreciated, they may be some common issues. Don't worry I have been searching on here too.

Its a 93 UK Auto TT.

• Active Spoiler - This isn't working. None of the buttons work to manually raise or lower it. Ok you cant give me the exact diagnosis. It it common for the Active Spoiler to fail, blow a fuse, motor to die etc.
  • There is some mayo under the oil cap. Nothing major just a little round the metal seal/spring. The car has been sat and not run for a while could this be the cause, as opposed to anything major i.e. head gasket.
  • Possibly related to the above, it seems the car has recently had a new radiator fitted. The top radiator hose has a little hardened mayo or similar on one of the rad hoses. This is where the top hose connects to the hard pipe that leads to the motor. (this and the above point leave me a tad concerned there has been some over heating going on)
  • HKS SSQD dump valve jobbie. I guess its a love or hate thing, have they been known to cause any issues?

Any help is most appreciated.

im not sure about active spoiler im sure somebody will be on here to confirm,as for the mayo under the oil cap this can be caused my condensation especially if it hasn't been used much,

have you tryed wiping the mayo off and see if it re appers if it does i would get a second opinion from sombody that knows there way around an engine.

how do you know its been overheating is it always doing it?

The active spoiler switch only works manually when the engine is off IIRC. Go 70mph and see if the wee green light comes on above the buttons to see if it comes on automatically.

60mph

Or put key to second position before enginer comes on. Press "auto off" and then press the right hand button

Thanks for the replies folks :).

I am speculating on the car at the moment so haven't purchased it.

I don't know its been over heating, im just a little suspicious.

I unfortunately didn't check the dipstick , but this has been mentioned to me, to see if they mayo has been round the whole system.

I tried most of those combinations key combinations to no joy :(.

As said the auto spoiler will only manually lower when ignition is turned on with the engine NOT running, it should lower automatically at 60mph. If it isn't working then the fuse would be the first thing to check.

If the car hasn't been run much recently as you say, condensation is likely to be the cause of the mayo around filler cap, the heat from a good run should evaporate any moisture in the oil.

Head gasket failure is rare with the 2JZGTE, if it is leaking it can pressurise the coolant system and cause overheating.

Localised coolant colouring around the upper hose could just be due to a leak, getting the engine up to temperature should show if this is the case. If the engine has overheated then there'd usually be brown coolant around the rad cap, over flow bottle and around the inside of the engine bay. The most common cause of overheating is either a worn radiator cap or a pipe leaking, as any loss of pressure in the system will cause the coolant to boil over at a lower temperature.

The UK spec uses a MAF sensor, a vent to atmosphere BOV such as the HKS SSQV can mess with the fueling and cause stalling issues. It would be better to either recirculate the BOV - kits available to do this - or remove and just run the stock BOV.

I'd suggest getting the engine up to temperature and checking for any leaks, then take it for a good test drive to see if all is working as it should be, check again for any leaks after test drive.

If you're not experienced enough to know if all is well, it would be worth paying a local mechanic to get it on a ramp and to give it a thorough going over. I'd get them to particularly check all the suspension components for wear, if it's still on the factory fitted components it could be very tired by now, overhauling the suspension is an expensive business.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Pretty much any large engined car will have 'mayo' in the cam covers at this time of year unless it has been run for a good few miles, I would say the 'mayo' in the hoses is prob something like bars leak that was put in with the old radiator, any garage can put a sniffer on the car for you to see if the gasket is OK but a blown HG is very very rare.

Thanks again folks, your replies are most helpful.

I think on second thoughts I should have another look at the Active Spoiler and check to be 100 % sure.

Nic your post was very very informative, thank you. The HKS SSQV isn't really my bag, so would likely get swapped out for a stock one anyway.

I do think I would have an expert to have a look over the Supra. There are a few people knowledgeable on them near me, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem asking them to have a look over it for me.

Is this the car thats on used cars Ni website? Lenfesty car sales or something very similar? If so then then the front bumper has been slightly modified. Headlamp washers removed and also facelift indicators, these coupled with a possible faulty active spoiler would raise my suspicions. Also there doesn't seem to be 'Toyota' written on the passenger side of the boot lid, which I have seen on all UK spec cars but I stand to be corrected on this. If it is indeed a genuine Uk spec then it seems to be very good value mate and well worth a look.

It sure is.

I noted the headlight washers. This made me dubious about it perhaps being an import, however im 100% sure it isn't. On close inspection you can see the holes had been filled and sprayed over. Many people hate them as we know, so it could have been personal taste too?

I guess a badge is easy to remove though? Just being objective. :)

It sure is.

I noted the headlight washers. This made me dubious about it perhaps being an import, however im 100% sure it isn't. On close inspection you can see the holes had been filled and sprayed over. Many people hate them as we know, so it could have been personal taste too?

I guess a badge is easy to remove though? Just being objective. :)

the Chassis no is a sure way of telling whether it is a JSpec or UK.