The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn, it's another noobie!

SupraDreamz

Top Forum!!

I'm eyeballing a few imports at the moment, and been doing quite a bit of research on the Supra family, and some of the info on this site has been invaluable! Forums always seem to be good for seeing what issues people have with their motors.

Likely I'm not going for a TT, so decided that the NA is probably a better bet for me (had enough probs with the turbo on my Calibra which I am trying to shift at the moment).

What I am wondering though is what the performance difference is like between an auto and a manual on the NA? Auto's I've had in the past seem a little on the sluggish side (not that I've driven a 3 litre one tho!), and as I do a lot of traffic driving (if you can call it driving!) I'm umming and ahhhing over the manual, but I want to be able to get the best out of the engine when I can.

So can anyone offer some opinions on their auto's / manuals, or performance differences (if any!)...

Cheers!

Hi and welcome :)

I'd seriously go for a TT, over an NA, you shouldnt have problems with the turbos unless you start pushing up the boost to high levels. They are very strong turbos and should last for well over 100k miles if looked after.

With regard to the Manual/Auto, I think you'd be happy with either choice tbh, best thing to do is try some out to be sure :)

The FAQ forum would be a good place to start (it's linked in my signature below). You'll find discussions on auto v manual.

Although I've driven auto cars in the past the Supra was the first auto car I've owned. I was a little unsure, but absolutedly love it. I doubt if I'd ever get a manual Supra.

Welcome aboard btw :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcomes!!

Thanks for the info as well, I'll check out the FAQ's (I found them earlier, the one with info on what to look out for was great!).

I may rethink on the TT, I see there are quite a few auto's around, and I am leaning toward the auto, but I do love shoving the stick around :sly:, and that's what I missed with auto's before...

Will definately test pilot a few!

Cheers!

Don't start me on repair bills!!!

The CaliT great when working, bugger when it wants attention - I've spent about 2k, figuring out 4x4 probs (never again!) and why the turbo's smoke at idle (rather embarrasing at times on the M25!)... Feel like doing a Basil Fawlty sometimes and smashing it with a large sapling!

So definately thinking Jap reliability, but with a sting in the tail!

Originally posted by SupraDreamz

So can anyone offer some opinions on their auto's / manuals, or performance differences (if any!)...

I've had an NA and TT manual, but currently have a TT auto......

the worst thing IMO about the auto is the sluggish pull away. I'm not talking 0-60 here, thats fast, no question, i'm talking about the first 20 yards or so where there's nothing as a driver that you can do to spin it up like you can in a manual.

On a similar note the 6 speeds as opposed to the 4 of the auto means that the manual has more chance of being in the correct rev band rather than in a inbetween 'too fast for 1st but too slow for 2nd' scenario (only talking about the odd time you might actually want to break traction. Given this, for me this would exclude me owning a NA auto, but i'd happily have another NA manual)

...the auto box is superb as they go, the changes up and kickdown are very smooth and i like the fact that its not always trying to change up gears when you ease off the throttle (like every other auto i've driven), it will hold gears when in Drive as long as you have a fair amount of open throttle.

The auto has made me more lazy and more of a cruiser, which reminds me another great feature of the auto is the o/drive switch on motorways don't think i'll ever get bored of that TBH!

Running costs wise there's not a lot between the NA and TT, fuel is a bit worse in the TT, but in my experience Insurance is no different. If you are young a UK car may even be significantly cheaper than an NA

If you are worried about the possiblity of turbo prob's then buy a car thats obvously been stock for its life and leave it that way and you will be very unfortunate to have problems, saying that late NA manuals are going very cheap at the moment and will be as reliable a car as you could wish for IMO.......

I had a cabt also- same thing, although no tubby probs it never worked properly!!

Supras are a different ball game by all accounts. Oddly enough (if you didn't see this while searching earlier) you'll find a TT chepaer to insure 9/10 times.

Welcome btw ;)

Scooter, thanks mate, very useful - that's one of the things that concerned me with the power banding in an auto - I guess I'm gonna have to get in one and play! I had a 2001 2.2 Beamer auto, tiptronic (or whatever they called it) was great, if a little slow to change, but otherwise it was rubbish always in the wrong gear and took a dogs age to get in the right gear - and by that time what ever it was you were trying to overtake was already a mile down the road!

Thanks Supragal, I've see that, quite bizarre! Although I have had a good quote from Adrian Flux Insurance, they undercut everything else I'd got - I also see they've had a couple of good bits of feedback on the site here as well, so I'll use them for the insurance - Elephant, who I'm with on the CaliT - Rubbish! Over the hill here at 30, I'm kinda hoping for a little benefit in premiums!

~Pj~

Scooter, thanks mate, very useful - that's one of the things that concerned me with the power banding in an auto - I guess I'm gonna have to get in one and play! I had a 2001 2.2 Beamer auto, tiptronic (or whatever they called it) was great, if a little slow to change, but otherwise it was rubbish always in the wrong gear and took a dogs age to get in the right gear - and by that time what ever it was you were trying to overtake was already a mile down the road!

Don't get me wrong the auto TT flies, it kicks down fast and in a straight line will never feel slow to change down or give you any problems overtaking, the slight gripe for me is the inducing power oversteer, but to be honest i'm still getting used to the car/box and this is a minor point really.

TBH i'm still in the Manual camp but not sure i'd be paying the premium that seems to need to be paid at the moment.....

if your 30+ A-plan do good insurance on imports...(0845 0711234)

Thanks Supragal, I've see that, quite bizarre! Although I have had a good quote from Adrian Flux Insurance, they undercut everything else I'd got - I also see they've had a couple of good bits of feedback on the site here as well, so I'll use them for the insurance - Elephant, who I'm with on the CaliT - Rubbish! Over the hill here at 30, I'm kinda hoping for a little benefit in premiums!

~Pj~

Some Autos can be quite nippy !!!!;)

Dude:flame Dev

I got my Supra TT j-spec auto yesterday and had some fun in it. I used to drive a BM 320 manual and its so slow!

I start to like the Auto box, I think taking away the gear change I have more time to control the car at speed that I won't try with manual box....

:baa:

Originally posted by dude

Some Autos can be quite nippy !!!!;)

true and even some suffer quite a bit of wheelspin off the line, something us stock auto drivers can only dream of in the dry!

IMO the auto is fine for a road car etc but for me does not give the same feel, control and ultimately enjoyment that a manual box can...

Originally posted by Scooter

true and even some suffer quite a bit of wheelspin off the line, something us stock auto drivers can only dream of in the dry!

IMO the auto is fine for a road car etc but for me does not give the same feel, control and ultimately enjoyment that a manual box can...

I find that by 80-90 mph the wheelspin is no longer a problem !!!!:D

Over the hill here at 30, I'm kinda hoping for a little benefit in premiums!

If you're over 25 ring this guy: Kevin Radford at Liverpool Victoria 0800 608 608 x 5182

Tell him the Supra Club sent you and make sure you only speak to him.

They'll cover you and apparently allow you to midify the car as much as you lke as long as you keep records of it and don't alter the actula engine capacity.

They wouldn't insure me cos I'm 6 months too young :cry:

Originally posted by Supragal

If you're over 25 ring this guy: Kevin Radford at Liverpool Victoria 0800 608 608 x 5182

Tell him the Supra Club sent you and make sure you only speak to him.

They'll cover you and apparently allow you to midify the car as much as you lke as long as you keep records of it and don't alter the actula engine capacity.

They wouldn't insure me cos I'm 6 months too young :cry:

That's as long as you have the same car as they have in their database, example, my NA Auto isn't on their database so they can't quote me, if I had a manual then I'd be paying quite a bit less :angry:

Originally posted by nick_karkie

And I had a 28 day ban for an sp30 and they wont quote me, banned 1 month in 8 years of driving and never had an accident but that makes me a bad driver apparently.

You were banned for an SP30? :eek:

Or do you mean that you already have points and the SP30 tipped you over the 12 points usually required for a ban?

Originally posted by Supragal

If you're over 25 ring this guy: Kevin Radford at Liverpool Victoria

I tried them today, over 30yrs old, clean licence for years, full ncb, garaged etc.

Only mods are wheels and exhaust..........£680. Bear in mind this is for a UK manual.

Might sound cheap to some but when compared to the £456 Bell Direct have asked for renewal, it's well out of touch !

Paul