The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rolling Radius?

Jellybean

Stock sizes are

Front - 235/45R17

Rear - 255/40R17

I currently run a 35/275 tyre; using a 30 profile will get me closer to the Stock Rolling Radius

I dont know if this is a stupid question but what is the advantage of having your car closer to the rolling Radius?

I am just a bit concerned using a 30 profile; heard some horror stories about the new BMW's; tyres popping all the time

I was going to go with the 35/285 tyre next just to get better rim protection (Filthy -- sounded better in my head) but will have my car on the 30 profile closer to the stock rolling radius improve handeling is probably my main question; can somebody explain the standard gearing too please

I seen that alright :) but was just more interested in Advatages / disadvatages of having my car setup close to the rolling radius plus how people find the 30 profile due to the BMW horror stories

if I go to a 30 profile I will be closer to stock but my ride height will drop; on the rear is ok but not the front ; if going to a 30 profile will no improve handling/ run a higher risk of tyre issues and allow me to have a more accurate spedo then pants to that I am staying with a 35 profile

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

In order to have the exact same rolling radius as the stock wheel/tyre combo the profile would have to be 31.3333%.

Clearly you cannot have an exact profile so you then decide which of the closest profiles would suit you best. In this instance 30 would be the closest to stock choice. Some people may favour 35 in order to bring more comfort, this would throw out the speedometer further though

Near the end, it throws out the speedo.

You run the risk of blowouts due to hitting potholes and the likes. That's just the risk you take with big wheels and low profile tyres. THey don't have as much give in the sidewall.

can somebody explain the standard gearing too please

Changing the radius of your wheels is a bit like changing the final drive (diff), think of it like the last gear cog in your drivetrain, it alters your gearing, so it can change your acceleration/top speed. Bigger wheels = taller gearing = slower acceleration but higher top speed. If you're just talking about a change in profile of 5 on near enough stock sizes I wouldn't be too concerned about the gearing effects though.

Changing the radius of your wheels is a bit like changing the final drive (diff), think of it like the last gear cog in your drivetrain, it alters your gearing, so it can change your acceleration/top speed. Bigger wheels = taller gearing = slower acceleration but higher top speed. If you're just talking about a change in profile of 5 on near enough stock sizes I wouldn't be too concerned about the gearing effects though.

cool thanks

Volk Racing GT-C Face 2 Wheels Size:5X114.3 19X10.5J (REAR)

Volk Racing GT-C Face 2 Wheels Size:5X114.3 19X9.5J (FRONT)

Ahh, 19s are a totally different kettle of fish.

Stock = 635.8 Diameter or 317.9 Radius or 1996.4 Circumference

275/35/19 = 675.1 Diameter or 337.55 Radius or 2119.814 Circumference (Speedo will read 6% higher)

275/30/19 = 647.6 Diameter or 323.8 Radius or 2033.464 Circumference (Speedo will read just under 2% higher)

To be honest you could go with either. The speedo reading 6% higher will probably just make it spot on as they tend to read a fair bit lower, as per Jake's comment in my thread.

Take your pick ;)

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

they are the same Measurements I got but I am more interested in the Adv/ and Dis-advs of having my wheel as close the the rolling radius?

I would rather run the 35 due to a lower risk of tyre blow outs but will using a 30 improve handeling

35 will improve the corner grip, will be quieter, will have more flexibility and will protect the wheel better.

The downfall is that it will put the speedo out from stock by around 6% and will probably be more expensive.

Just as a sidenote, the difference in risk between 30s and 35s with regards to blowouts will be next to nothing. If you hit something hard enough to pop a 30 profile tyre the 35 won't take much more punishment and you will probably have a bust wheel anyway.

35 will improve the corner grip, will be quieter, will have more flexibility and will protect the wheel better.

The downfall is that it will put the speedo out from stock by around 6% and will probably be more expensive.

Thanks that all I need :) 35 it is so

I taught it was a more determental effect