The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP Needed!

Guest WELSHY

Hi Guys,

Im posting this on behalf of a mate, ok he owns an N reg 1996 Supra 3.0 NA.. the brakes have been upgraded to the brakes from the twin turbo. Now hes been having trouble lately with his front passenger side brake siezing/binding. The car had its MOT today and garage says it needs a new calliper, hes been quoted £300 for the calliper on its own, is this a good price? If not where is the best place to get him a new calliper? All help would be greatly appreciated as he needs it sorted asap as its his daily driver, thanks in advance everyone :)

Ben

Hiya mate, yeh thats right hes got the larger four pot callipers... What do you think is the best thing to do? Cheers for the link, could he use the smaller j specs? Im just wondering whether the smaller j specs were used with smaller discs compared to the larger four pots? I could be completely wrong as I know hardly anything technical about the supras...

£300 !!!!!

The last price i had off Toyota was £206 inc vat each for uk spec 4 pot calipers (retail), siezed calipers can be fixed if you know what your doing and for a fraction of the cost of a new caliper.

You can buy a seal kit from Toyota that will replace all the seals on both the front 4 pot calipers for approx £50, if you need new pistons i think their approx £20 each.

Heres a pair i stripped and rebuilt for a member, these were fully stripped and powder coated with new seals and a couple of pistons. Their as good as new now.

Speak to Steve Manley at Inchcap Toyota in Oxford and tell him Dunk told you to call him, he'll look after you with any parts you need, 01865 291 333

calipers009 (6).jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Yep £300 mate, even I thought that sounded expensive! Ah so you can get them from toyota dealerships? So is that just the calliper for £206 inc VAT? Or is it the calliper with new pistons seals etc fully built? Thats good to know, he was looking into overhauling it so I'll let him know about the seal kits and pistons too, cheers for the help so far guys much appreciated! Keep the advice coming lol does anyone have the part numbers for the calliper? Seal Kit? And pistons?

Thats for a brand new built caliper with pistons and seals, all you need to add are brake pads and the shim kit. Thats retail prices as well, with my discount they work out at £187 each inc vat.

These prices may have gone up a bit as Toyota have recently had a price review.

The best thing to do is to re build the calipers you have, its much cheaper and not hard to do as long as you know what your doing, also its worth doing the other front caliper as the outer seals or boots as their called are now very old and tend to split and let dirt and moisture get at the pistons causing them to seize.

Also worth checking the rears to as they will go the same way when the outer seal fails

Where to is your mate located, will have a look at it if he wants, normally helping out members

He lives in Barry mate, where are you located fella?

Argh cant see the catalogue mate says I dont have permission as I only signed up tonight to help my mate out..

:( Cack didn't know about restriction mate.

As above If your mate wants them reconditioned, I have recently done a set of brakes for damon on here, don't mind taking a look to help a fellow Welshman out

Diamond. A set of Mr Wilsons stainless pins and Nevins = job done. Outstanding. :D

Far cheaper too.

There was a recently advertised set of refurbed UK's for sale here at 800 quid and that's good value.

Hiya craig.. how are you mate? Been speaking to Nevins on here about my mates calliper tonight etc what work you doing to the supras over the weekend?

Cheers for the offer craig :) wish i could mate but im busy tomorrow or i would of come down with james :( you got alot of work to do over the weekend by the sounds of things?