The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maybe selling the Supra

SupraJames

Right due to a lot of bad luck on the job front, rising petrol costs and all round lack of money I don't really think I can afford to keep the Supra, so in short what I am asking is what people think is a fair price to think about selling her. Would love to keep it but just can't afford the upkeep or running costs :(

Car is a 93 UK Spec Auto, upgraded a few bits, bodykit, usual stuff, 120k on the clock, has bad compression on number 5, brakes need changing but still ok, and turbo oil seals could prob do with changing.

Just dont think its fair to let a great car fall apart because I can't afford it, when it could go to a better home.

Thanks

Your better off trying to get the bits sorted and then sell mate, otherwise you'll get stupid offers for it!

From what you've said it potentially needs the turbo's refurb, a headgasket and brakes all round! Pricey, which in turn will make people offer silly low prices for it! :(

Yeah sadly that was my thoughts as well :(, would be like giving it away (which im not doing before I get any smart replies :p), well I have 2 choice cut my losses and get rid, or hang on to it and try and fix it bit by bit when I have the money, but sorting the compression issue I know is not going to be cheap whatever is causing it be it a valve or a ring or maybe even worse.

Yeah sadly that was my thoughts as well :(, would be like giving it away (which im not doing before I get any smart replies :p), well I have 2 choice cut my losses and get rid, or hang on to it and try and fix it bit by bit when I have the money, but sorting the compression issue I know is not going to be cheap whatever is causing it be it a valve or a ring or maybe even worse.

IMO, given the engine and turbos need work, it's probably just worth transpanting the whole lot from another car, will save you money and grief. IMO you should keep it and do it up slowly. I reckon you'll struggle to see £3k selling it as it is. As Jamie said, you'll see another £2k ish breaking it (IMO) but what a shame that would be :(

Well myself and two friends planned on stripping the engine over the winter and building back up from scratch, but sadly one guy (with the workshop) turned out to be a twat, I lost my job yet again so that plan is on hold, but really do not want to break the car so maybe my only option. Ideal world I would do a full rebuild and single it at the same time, but sadly unless I find like 5-7k tomorrow thats not going to happen lol

Well myself and two friends planned on stripping the engine over the winter and building back up from scratch, but sadly one guy (with the workshop) turned out to be a twat, I lost my job yet again so that plan is on hold, but really do not want to break the car so maybe my only option. Ideal world I would do a full rebuild and single it at the same time, but sadly unless I find like 5-7k tomorrow thats not going to happen lol

Rebuild and single conversion for 5-7k? try sticking a 1 in front of that.

What about if you sold some of the ice etc to fund repairs?

By rebuild i simple meant stripping the engine sorting what ever is causing the compression issue, prob do valve stem seals while I am there, use stock parts (which I get a 10% discount on), no forged or aftermarket parts apart from maybe some ARP bolts. Oil seals seem ok not getting any smoke so guess that could be addressed later on.

...or hang on to it and try and fix it bit by bit when I have the money...

Yeah, do that one. You'll regret it if you don't :)

...Jun bumpers are pretty hard to come by these days...

Yeah took me ages to track it down, and think one of only a handfull in the UK.

I've got one :D Difference is, your car has had the rest of the work done to make the Jun bumper look good. Mine looks knackered :(

Good luck with it all mate, I hope you get everything sorted whatever you choose to do :)