The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant....My first ever proper rant, I am so.........

DodgyRog

I have not had a great week,

I have only had 1 days work this week, which in itself is bad enough, but today got up with the wife and went to but the Kettle on and it didn't work, so we have to go and buy another kettle, thats not to bad in itself, but

I decide rather than sit on the computer or consoles all day and as the weather is proberbly the best it's been for a while, I would wash the car, big, huge mistake:(

This is the first wash since the snow and big freeze we had recently, so the car was grubby, but not horrendous, so I go through my normal wash procedure, but when I get down to the side skirts I notice the paint is lifting.

For those that are newer members, I had a lot of hassle with Speed Culture when it was sprayed...links

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?141732-Got-my-car-back-what-do-you-think

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?149344-Got-my-car-back-AGAIN-)-pics-inside

Well I know it's been a fair bit of time,so not sure I can put it down to Speed Culture or it's even worth trying to chase them for it, but with there total lack of professionalism, well lets just say I am not surprised.

The only thing I can think of, is some moisture got behind the paint and with the prolonged cold (below 0C for a week) it created this

I have no idea what to do about it, as it going to keep pealing by the looks of it, I am really worried that other parts of the car are going to start peeling as well

If anyone in the know spraying wise has an idea what would cause this please post.

Well I am not sure what to do now, I certainly cant afford any major spray work and I am going to hate driving it like this, even though it's a daily driver, I try and keep it as clean and shiney as possible and I am a bit of a perfectionist at times.

I noticed a while back that the skirts weren't removed to be sprayed when they had the car back the 2nd time, so removing the skirts to have them sprayed may cause problems on the wing paint work

:(I am so gutted:(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Rob, that's horrid :( I don't know what I would do if I washed my car and it started flaking like that :(

Gutted for you. Doesn't looke like it's had the proper base coats / prep? (I'm defo no expert).

your right in a way matt, what it looks like to me is that they have just flatted the exsisting work then painted, the correct procedure would be to fully prime the skirts and flat back this would prevent any reaction coming through in the paint work and definately not flake like that... as the surface would have a perfect key.

looks to me that they have not even primed the skirts but i might be wrong.

your right in a way matt, what it looks like to me is that they have just flatted the exsisting work then painted, the correct procedure would be to fully prime the skirts and flat back this would prevent any reaction coming through in the paint work and definately not flake like that... as the surface would have a perfect key.

Aye, that's what I see. Could it be that when Rob took his car back, they just sprayed directly over the paint colour he wasn't happy with, without the base costs and prep they should have?

These skirts were new from them, but they had the car back, due to the first time they sprayed it, it was not even a close colour match.

Long story short, they took it back, I agreed to pay more to get nearly the whole car blown, so there wasn't such an issue with color matching, looking at this colour, its the first paint they sprayed

Not sure where I stand nearly 3 years on, I just feel absolutely gutted and feel like doing someone at the paint shop some serious damage

I think as it's three years on they will wash their hands of it. It's defo not right. That extent of damage should not be occuring 3 years on.

These skirts were new from them, but they had the car back, due to the first time they sprayed it, it was not even a close colour match.

Long story short, they took it back, I agreed to pay more to get nearly the whole car blown, so there wasn't such an issue with color matching, looking at this colour, its the first paint they sprayed

has not been keyed up then! thats all i can think whats happened. if a surface is not keyed the base coat and clear wont stick to it 100%.... another idea would be a stone chip and water behind the clear coat but the odds on that is very very slim as its both sides affected in the same place.

WOW that's crap! Feel for you dude. I remember when i went out to my supra and see all the little bubbles in the paint. Could not really go back to japan though.

Go back to them and try your luck. I remember when i had bodywork done on other cars and i think they all gave a years warranty but that wont help you but that should not fall of like that ever!

Rob,

Having consider your situation, I think your still have a good chance of getting something sorted as I don't believe from what we've discussed, that what has happened is a fluke thing. If they have not prepped properly and simply sprayed over the other top coat, then they are guilty of mal-practice. If the job was never done properly in the first place, then your claim should stand regardless of time.

If the job was done properly and this has happened, then you would have no chance, but I don't think that is the case.

I think you should get it checked by an independant proffesional. If they never did the work properly in the first instant, then you have a right to claim.

I have just been out and had another look at it and the paint showing through is shiney, so I guess it wasnt rubbed back, if I got the polisher out, I think I could get a good shine on it, it would just be a different colour:(

I have also just messaged them, asking them to look at the photo and contact me, but I am not holding my breath, last time they had it they refused to let me have it until I payed the bill, that was before I had even had a look at the colour match the 2nd time

Rob,

Having consider your situation, I think your still have a good chance of getting something sorted as I don't believe from what we've discussed, that what has happened is a fluke thing. If they have not prepped properly and simply sprayed over the other top coat, then they are guilty of mal-practice. If the job was never done properly in the first place, then your claim should stand regardless of time.

If the job was done properly and this has happened, then you would have no chance, but I don't think that is the case.

I think you should get it checked by an independant proffesional. If they never did the work properly in the first instant, then you have a right to claim.

Thanks Matt, I will have to look into the legal side I suppose

it only takes one bit of clear coat left on the skirts and not flatted correctly to cause this.

The fact both side have done the same, points to Speed Culture I guess

I have just been out and had another look at it and the paint showing through is shiney, so I guess it wasnt rubbed back, if I got the polisher out, I think I could get a good shine on it, it would just be a different colour:(I have also just messaged them, asking them to look at the photo and contact me, but I am not holding my breath, last time they had it they refused to let me have it until I payed the bill, that was before I had even had a look at the colour match the 2nd time

no chance mate your just rub through to the primer

Really sorry to hear this Rob :(

As mentioned regardless how long, the paint should not peel like that. I am not expert on this matter but I have had a number of cars sprayed by my friend who had a bodyshop and it has never peeled after a job (even 5-7 years later). I'd persue this with the company, explain that you understand it has been 3 years but a respray job should not last just 3 years.

Good luck & chin up :)

My local body shop only gives a 6 months guarantee, but I've never had issues with any of their work, and I've had the sprayed bits done over 4 years now.

It should not do that, and I'll not be that surprised if they privately think that it should've peeled off a lot sooner than that.

Hope you get it sorted somehow.