The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with turbo choice for na-t

w41k3r

As iv`e just given my bro the turbo that came with my kit im looking into buying a new one in the next few days i don`t mind trying a xs power turbo but im seeing if there is anything up to/around £700 that would suit my needs ?

my car is staying stock fuel, injectors ect i have found this on ebay it a garrett turbo but im unsure if it will suit or what trim i need

Any other options i will consider it needs to have a 3" v band outlet can be t3 or t4 flanged

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-Journal-Bearing-full-60-1-aka-T04S-Turbo-/130375608707?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5afde983#ht_3629wt_811

its a t3/t4 manifold nic so i can use either

Do you have the manifold already? The turbo flange should be one or the other, see images for both below. If it is split down the middle - as shown on the T4 image - it is divided, if it isn't it's undivided.

T3

T4

Oh right, it looks like a undivided T4 flange, with T3 bolt holes also drilled into the flange, in that case use a T4 turbo housing. If you used a T3 housing with the smaller inlet (hole), then the exhaust gasses from the larger T4 outlet (hole) in the manifold would very quickly burn away the gasket between the two.

Before fitting I would check there is no welding inside that could break away and go through the turbo.

If you were going with the T60-1, I'd go with either of these options.

T4 A/R of 0.81 (Undivided housing)

T4 A/R of 0.96 (Undivided housing)

thanks for your help nic so to recap before i order this is going on a n/a-t so the intake will run above the turbo.......

so a turbine A/R of 0.81 or 0.96

do i then have to choose a turbine housing ??? which do i choose there ?

SCRAP that last line i think i understand it now lol

What did the turbo look like that you got with the kit, did the compressor housing have a 2.5" outlet the same as the T60-1?

For the turbine housing you want Option One on the advert - T04 undivided inlet with 3.00 V-Band outlet with

0.81 A/R or 0.96 A/R.

The 0.81 A/R housing would spool up a little quicker, the 0.96 A/R would give slightly more top end potential but there won't be much between the two. If you are sticking with the stock fueling I would go for the 0.81 A/R option.

i could also go with this as its on offer and i presume just use the same A/R as the garrett am i right ?

http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=8&cat=120&page=1

Yes, although it doesn't say if it is T04 divided or undivided turbine housing, it also doesn't say if it has a 3" V-band outlet.

I'm also not sure what the E and S compressor housings are, probably best to check with them before ordering.