The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Do We Think Of This Turbo Kit

a98pmalcolm

Hay all, as some know im wanting to go single but with the way money its well its a bitch.. So i came accross this e-bay kit.

I know its nothing special and most members (including myself) life to get the proper stuff and not utter rubbish, so opionions on this kit guys as starter? I can ugrade piece by piece monthly:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230553830911&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/438/kitq.jpg

I will be using my genuine HKS BOV not the cheap knock off in th pic

Thanks

Paul

Some people have used these and with a few small mods like de slagging the manifold etc. if it was me i would be inclined if money tight to wait. there is so many other costs when going single.even if this kit fitted pucka, you can put at least a minimum £3-£4k on top for other things like clutch, injectors, ecu, pipework and fitting/mapping!

I'm sure I've read iffy things about the XS Power stuff being poor quality. If you have a nice solid engine with no problems just now, I wouldn't want to give it any.

I'd be inclined to wait and get a kit of proper stuff that is reputable. If you look around enough, you could probably easily acquire the "right" parts for good prices and have a reliable setup for a good price :)

to be fair to xs power it does look like they listen to whats gone wrong and try to improve it like the manifolds never used to be braced now they are

They've been using the bracing for at least 4 years :) The last new XS power one I saw (bought 4 months ago) still had the same manifold design and dodgy internal welding as the early ones.

If XS stuff is now near the £1.2k mark it's almost cheaper to just buy a quality 2nd hand kit instead. Either way I would not recommend anyone buying XS power unless they really understand what they're buying into.

one of my mates uses alot of xs power turbos & manifolds and he hasnt had any trouble that i know of. he used an xs turbo when he built the civic eg turbo and it ran lovely, 2 bar boost coming in at 5000 rpm.

ive always been sceptical about cheaper turbos / kits. ive found with the cheaper kits that some are pretty good but most are just cack