The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Forged pistons?

Rob_Mitchell

When I took the head off I checked and concerned me so I phoned Lee.he explained that when the piston warms up it expands slightly and that's how it should be.

Not sure but if I had to guess I would say maybe this is what causes piston slap in forged motors on start up.

When I took the head off I checked and concerned me so I phoned Lee.he explained that when the piston warms up it expands slightly and that's how it should be.

Not sure but if I had to guess I would say maybe this is what causes piston slap in forged motors on start up.

sounds like it makes sense mate, cheers dave.

Yes I had my engine rebuilt by AFR using forged pistons and John explained that they are slightly smaller when cold and that they rattle around a bit on cold start and its good practice to let them warm up first. you can really hear the difference on a cold start to when they have warmed up nicely.

Measure the pistons (in the correct place and in the correct way) and the bores. Subtract one from t'other and check against the piston spec sheet if you are that worried. Otherwise trust the engine builder :) If you are going to check every thing he does you might as well do it yourself!

the engine was built 10k miles ago chris, i think all is ok but just thought i would ask as i have never owned or worked on a rebuilt/balanced engine before