The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA front facing intake manifold (na-t)

abtin90

Does anyone know what the advantages a front facing intake manifold have on an NA and NA-T? I know they would help clear up space for turbo conversions, more space between the bonnet, and would prob look a lot better (with it kind of having a tt look) but what else does it offer...

And would anything else need to be relocated to install one?

Also what companies sell them? thanks

The air flow in feet per second through the inlet pipework is so fast under boost little conducted or convected heat will pass from the pipe walls to the air within. The surface area area V volume of gas is pretty insignificant as is the contact time. I'd be more worried about equal port air flow if you mess with intakes, they need looking at n a flow bench really, to see what's really likely to be happening.

so are you reccomending to stay with the intake toyota intended chris ? this is something i have considerd but i have also heard that the stock na inlet is verry well designed and removing it could cost alot of torque.

any educated advanses on these theorys?

+1

yeah ive been considering it too for a while though it does seem like quite a bit of work as from what ive read on supraforums the power steering tank, fuse box and battery all have to be moved to accomadate it. at the same time ive seen a lot of people in the states doing it on the na-t's and was wondering what the benefits were to it and whether its a worthwhile upgrade?

do you know of any websites or companies that sell them as they would most likely have a lot of information in regards to its benefits...

i wouldnt pay atention to the sales jargin on the websites. ill hang tight to see what profesionals say , e.g , chris wilson, lee-p , dude,ect. sorry to any iv missed

True but what I meant was that websites by reputable people like Paul whiffin, who sell parts are also a good source for information

My answer was assuming someone was turbo charging an N/A. For true performance gains keeping it as an N/A you need cams, throttle bodies, more compression, more revs, and a mappable ecu and a lot of mapping time. It will drive very differently, drink petrol and cost a fortune. 2 stock TT's would probably be cheaper than getting a lot more grunt from an N/A :)

My answer was assuming someone was turbo charging an N/A. For true performance gains keeping it as an N/A you need cams, throttle bodies, more compression, more revs, and a mappable ecu and a lot of mapping time. It will drive very differently, drink petrol and cost a fortune. 2 stock TT's would probably be cheaper than getting a lot more grunt from an N/A :)

this is takling in terms of a turbod na, mine is na-t and abtin is currently converting his