The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.2bar from 1st tubby

Scott

Finally managed to catch it on video. Colder weather has made it more of an occurrence.

Sorry for the crap quality, was just on my phone...

RMd4Lj611sc

As a sidenote, it REALLY picks up once at the 1.1bar stage. Pulls much harder than it does at the normal 0.8-0.9ish.

i can make mine do that with turning up the boost conrtoler but fear it would soon destroy the turbo, my thinking was they where made to just make 1.2 as a pair so should not really go past 0.6 on first turbo(half the boost) but everyone does as its lower rpm i guess

or am i talking complete crap

i just set mine to 0.85 nice intermediate :D

i can make mine do that with turning up the boost conrtoler but fear it would soon destroy the turbo, my thinking was they where made to just make 1.2 as a pair so should not really go past 0.6 on first turbo(half the boost) but everyone does as its lower rpm i guess

or am i talking complete crap

i just set mine to 0.85 nice intermediate :D

Really? I thought this was a unique phenomenon. I have read about people fitting secondary boost controllers to have influence on the boost made by the 1st turbo but I've never read of anyones doing it naturally or by changing the gain of the combined boost controller.

It's a common misconception that setting the boost controller at 1.2 for both means that you get 0.6 from the 1st tubby on its own. Stock boost is around 0.7iirc which then pops up to 0.8 once both are online. Changing the gain on a boost controller shouldn't make any difference to that figure, although fitting a de-cat does as the exhaust gas going past the turbo is always going to be more free than it is without.

Normally fully BPU cars see around 0.8 on the 1st turbo and 1.0-1.2 on both, depending on the desired effect. Differences in the de-cat and exhaust system will make small changes to these figures though.

I think it should be 0.7bar for the first turbo? Mine peaks at around that, and then 1.1bar for the both of them.

0.7bar in lower gears is about right, it should be up around 0.8 for when you are in higher gears. Have you set the 1.1bar with a boost controller or just using a restrictor ring? If it's the latter then you will probably see a difference between lower and higher gears again.

do you have a boost controler then scott?

with my avcr i can set it to 2 bar and it would make it on first turbo ( i have not tested that though :D so i might be wrong)

but have set the duty to high once and was making over a bar

you may want to look at one of my threads about stock boost at bpu and have a look at the pics some very destroyed turbos i would try to avoid making that boost on the first turbo imho

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

1.2bar on the first turbo is extremely bad. The ECU leans the engine out during transition to limit how the kick arrives when the second turbo comes on line. 1.2bar on the first turbo means it is fuelled for around 0.8bar and has the potential to run lean and det the engine to death.

It is also way outside the efficiency range for the turbo. I would limit it to 1bar on the first turbo and if you want to push your luck then let the turbos go to 1.35bar when on both turbos.

1.2bar on the first turbo is extremely bad. The ECU leans the engine out during transition to limit how the kick arrives when the second turbo comes on line. 1.2bar on the first turbo means it is fuelled for around 0.8bar and has the potential to run lean and det the engine to death.

It is also way outside the efficiency range for the turbo. I would limit it to 1bar on the first turbo and if you want to push your luck then let the turbos go to 1.35bar when on both turbos.

I'd love to limit it but it is doing it on its own lol. I'm not really worried about it leaning out as I have a Mines ECU so it is mapped for higher boost levels anyway. Obviously it won't be mapped for THAT much.... unelss it is the Mines that is doing it :think:

The thing is that it hasn't always been this high, it used to boost between 0.9 and 1.0bar on the 1st turbo. I'm thinking sticky actuator so I'll have a look over it all, working in the engine bay at the moment anyway.

Won't 1.35 blow a lot of hot air and make it less efficient than at 1.2 though?

do you have a boost controler then scott?

with my avcr i can set it to 2 bar and it would make it on first turbo ( i have not tested that though :D so i might be wrong)

but have set the duty to high once and was making over a bar

you may want to look at one of my threads about stock boost at bpu and have a look at the pics some very destroyed turbos i would try to avoid making that boost on the first turbo imho

I have a manual boost controller. Adjusting it has little effect on the 1st turbo though.