The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Allround Tyres recommended for a Stock TT

SamuraiFlash

I'm in need for a new set of tyres for the wheels i purchased off Rob Sheffield to go on my NA-TT but I am really confused on what to go for :confused:

I want a set of tyres that will give me great performance in the wet and in cold conditions as well as good grip in the dry. I wont be driving my supra in the snow, but would on occasions drive it in dry but cold conditions.

I was dead set on buying Falkens, but after reading many user reviews i am not too sure about them. I've read on many reviews that the performance drops drastically after 50% of wear and because they are made out of a harder compound, the performance in colder conditions are not as imressive as some of the premium brands.

Any recommendations/experience would be appreciated.

The sizes i'm looking for are:

255 35 18 to fit the front 18" x 9.5" rims

275 35 18 to fit the rear 18" x 10.5" rims

Any tyre's wet performance will reduce with wear as it will be less able to shift the same volume of water as a new tyre, i have Falkens and when you balance them against a set for twice the money the more expensive tyre isnt anywhere near twice as good.

If your intending to really push your car then spend the money but if not then the extra is a waste of cash, come out with me and i'll show you how crap Falkens are :) you dont drive half as hard as i do Kamal so i cant see you having any problems.

If you want a top tyre that performs in all conditions and stuff the cost then i personally would go for Contisports

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta would suit you down to the ground. They excel in the wet but are great in the dry too. I have them and rate them very highly.

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/vredestein/sessanta

I am with Gaz on this one, though I currently have the Ultrac on my rears & they are brilliant.

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/vredestein/ultrac

I had the continental sports on the rear before these & they were horrible, mainly in the wet. Infact they were so bad that even though I had quite a bit of tread left in them, I had them changed to the Vredestein just before a trip from London to our Milton Keynes office. Thank god I did that, as all of a sudden while on the motorway the heavens broken loose! When I mean broke loose, I had the wipers on full blast & could just about see the road markings. I slowed down to 50mph & the car felt fine in all the flooded water!

So I'd highly recommend them :thumbs:

Cant believe you had issues with the Contisports in the wet or the dry, ive pushed my car hard in the wet and on trackdays and found them to be a very good tyre, one of the sportscar mags did a controlled environment test on several leading brands and the Conti's came out on top. Not the best in any one area but overall.

The M3 and 335 track cars we used at the Autodromo do Algarve at Xmas were both kitted out with Contisports and the dry grip and feel they gave were fantastic, the head school instructor said they were by far the best all round tyre they had tried.

portugal dec 2010 025.jpg

Cant believe you had issues with the Contisports in the wet or the dry, ive pushed my car hard in the wet and on trackdays and found them to be a very good tyre, one of the sportscar mags did a controlled environment test on several leading brands and the Conti's came out on top. Not the best in any one area but overall.

The M3 and 335 track cars we used at the Autodromo do Algarve at Xmas were both kitted out with Contisports and the dry grip and feel they gave were fantastic, the head school instructor said they were by far the best all round tyre they had tried.

I am quite surprised too as I thought they would be brilliant being a premium brand but mine was a stock TT & to be brutally honest I found them dissappointing, the worst being in the wet. I thought it was maybe the Geo so had that done again on the car but it didn't help a huge amount. I also found it going through the rears at an alarming rate, what I should have done is get the model before dumped them at the garage (Elite Direct). They have quite a lot of high performance cars which go there for work and the fella I know there advised a lot of customers went from the conti sports to the Vredestein or Toyo's on the Jap cars.

Though I am sure other people expressed similar views recently.

I got the prices for a set of tyres in the sizes i am after off camskill.com and the prices are as follows:

Verdestein £702.44

Falken 452 £489.80

Thats £212.64 difference :blink: I have to say i have been impressed with all the review's i've read about the Verdestein's and i like the fact that they perform in colder condition's. Dunk is correct in saying that I won't be pushing my supra to it's limit and I can't imagine myself going round bends in high speeds. I may once in a while put my foot down on straights on a dry day, that's all really.

The Falken's are great value for the money, but the Verdesteins seem to be a great choice, but are the Verd's £212 better than the Falkens?

Funny as I bought a pair of rear tyres for my Skyline yesterday (265x35x18). I decided to go for the Vredestein's Ultrac Sessanta as they seem to get very good reviews.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS3's in the front (235x40x18) and in the rear a pair of Falken 452's.

The Falken's were good up until recently. I liked them when they had more tread but they are horrible (read dangerous) with currently 3mm tread left (not touching the wear markers yet).

I can't find any traction at all, they're all over the place.

I bought the Vredesteins on ebay from Elite Tyres, £129 per tyre delivered (265x35x18)!

That's much cheaper that the Falkens and other tyres in its segment.

Can't wait to have them fitted in the weekend

Kamal have a look on here and it will give you an idea on how varied peoples tyre reviews are for the same tyre, http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Thank's for that Dunk, yes this is the website that confused the hell out of me as the review's of the Falken's are so inconsistant. The Verd's are very highly regarded by alot of user's.

Funny as I bought a pair of rear tyres for my Skyline yesterday (265x35x18). I decided to go for the Vredestein's Ultrac Sessanta as they seem to get very good reviews.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS3's in the front (235x40x18) and in the rear a pair of Falken 452's.

The Falken's were good up until recently. I liked them when they had more tread but they are horrible (read dangerous) with currently 3mm tread left (not touching the wear markers yet).

I can't find any traction at all, they're all over the place.

I bought the Vredesteins on ebay from Elite Tyres, £129 per tyre delivered (265x35x18)!

That's much cheaper that the Falkens and other tyres in its segment.

Can't wait to have them fitted in the weekend

How were the Falken's like in dry but colder tempretures when the tread was higher than 3mm?

How were the Falken's like in dry but colder tempretures when the tread was higher than 3mm?

Fine. I've always said it, I rank the F452's on a par with the old Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. They're an excellent tyre. I prefered the old Bridgestone S02's in the dry, but those are the only three makes of tyres I've ever had on the Supra!

Definitely better than what they are now but I can't compare with other tyres. I have more power that what I used to with previous tyres so it wouldn't be an even comparison. I wouldn't buy them again, given the price of the Vredesteins. I still have to test the Vreds though, maybe I'm speaking too early.

They worked well enough for me in all the snow and ice at the beginning and end of last year ;)

How well did they "work", can you quantify it at all? Were you driving on cambered sheet ice roads or just on snow covering etc? What sort of tread depth are you running them at? Were you sliding at all on the front or rear end when driving carefully? Were you on intermittent tarmac where you could actually get some warmth into the tyre between icy stretches or was it constant ice driving?

I have a set of 225/50/17 and 245/45/17 M+S winter tyres for mine and they work well but you still need to be careful....a stranger couldn't really step into the car and drive it on a truly icy road without having their wits about them and a good appreciation of RWD behaviour.

How well did they "work", can you quantify it at all? Were you driving on cambered sheet ice roads or just on snow covering etc? What sort of tread depth are you running them at? Were you sliding at all on the front or rear end when driving carefully? Were you on intermittent tarmac where you could actually get some warmth into the tyre between icy stretches or was it constant ice driving?

I have a set of 225/50/17 and 245/45/17 M+S winter tyres for mine and they work well but you still need to be careful....a stranger couldn't really step into the car and drive it on a truly icy road without having their wits about them and a good appreciation of RWD behaviour.

All of the above, at 200MPH, blindfolded, with one hand on the steering wheel obviously.

Perhaps you should get some Vredestein's instead.