The mkiv Supra Owners Club

when would you need to fit a oil cooler

mellonman

Don't want to hijack the thread but what is the best an fitting for an oil cooler? i always thought mine was a bit small at -6

Back on topic: I've only just started to put an oil cooler on now that i'm going single. Although i have been meaning to put it on since i turned the boost up.

Don't want to hijack the thread but what is the best an fitting for an oil cooler? i always thought mine was a bit small at -6

Back on topic: I've only just started to put an oil cooler on now that i'm going single. Although i have been meaning to put it on since i turned the boost up.

-10 on the Supra, going too small will increase oil pressure and restrict flow, -6 is way too small, and unless your running a big single at prolonged periods of boost, or run std turbos on track,you are unlikely to see more than 120c oil temps.

-10 on the Supra, going too small will increase oil pressure and restrict flow, -6 is way too small, and unless your running a big single at prolonged periods of boost, or run std turbos on track,you are unlikely to see more than 120c oil temps.

Doh thats what i thought. New oil cooler time, Stupid small mocal thing haha. Cheers

Quite easy, just a bit messy. You should fit a nice quality sandwich plate between your filter and engine. This can be done from below by removing the access panel just below the filter. This plate will have room for the sensor for the oil temp meter (which you can test in boiling water before fitting) and then this just a matter of getting the wireing in trough the firewall. Use the existing cable path for that.

no i dont have a oil temp gauge at all,

how easy is it to fit one

Quite easy, just a bit messy. You should fit a nice quality sandwich plate between your filter and engine. This can be done from below by removing the access panel just below the filter. This plate will have room for the sensor for the oil temp meter (which you can test in boiling water before fitting) and then this just a matter of getting the wireing in trough the firewall. Use the existing cable path for that.

You should bare in mind that fitting a temp sensor here rather than the sump, you will see temps around 10c higher than the sump.

My reason for asking was that you really need to know just what sort of temps your seeing on full boost runs, in order to determine if you actually need an oil cooler, remember it is possible to over cool your oil, which is just as bad as over heating it;)

Correct, sir :)

I would rather see the high number than the low number though. As long as you see 90-100 on cruise you should be good.

Make sure to get a thermostat in the setup as else you very likely will "overcool" the oil. My HKS setup does keep the temp nicely @ 90 degrees in city driving and aprox 100 on motorway. 110-120 on very fast auto bahn/track driving. This is @ exit of engine (filter has been relocated)

Would that be sump or sandwich plate temps?

My sensor is in a sandwich plate beside the oil filter.

Sorry i was mainly referring to sump temps, sandwich plate temps can read as much as 10C above that, as said you need to monitor oil temps, as adding an oil cooler without really needing one, apart from the possible un needed expense, if you keep oil temps below 90c is not a good idea, in fact it needs to reach 100c during normal driving, otherwise you never burn off the condensation and gasses that occur naturally inside an engine.

in fact it needs to reach 100c during normal driving, otherwise you never burn off the condensation and gasses that occur naturally inside an engine.

Too low is often worse than a little high, as Tricky says, you want to boil off water condensation. A common sign of too low an oil temp is mayonnaise on the underside of the oil filler cap. This is oil and water mixed, due to the engine oil rarely getting hot enough to boil it off. Usually a sign of lots of cold starts and short winter journeys. You won't find it on a reps car that pounds the motorways every day.

You can get an adaptor to go from the sump plug female thread to take a 10 x 1.00 mm pitch sender, which is a common size. I can go a decent 52 mm electric gauge and sender and adaptor for £78 delivered.

so your kit would be all i need or do i have to get the sump plug adaptor

can i have pictures of the gauge

so your kit would be all i need or do i have to get the sump plug adaptor

can i have pictures of the gauge

You would hope that the sensor is a very compact unit if its going in a sump adapter, as it sticks out at an angle, i always take the sump off and weld in a boss at the side, where it doesn't stand a chance of getting hit by speed bumps etc.