The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyre problem...help please

abtin90

I was looking to change my alloys but my mot was two weeks ago and as I hadnt found any that I liked I decided to change the front tyres to pass the mot and carrying on using them till I found a suitable set.

I bought some used 225/35/20 nankang tyres with 7mm tread.

However when I got the tyres changed I noticed air was leaking around the rim. I took it back to the tyre shop they took them off and put them back on but theyre still leaking air really quickly.

The tyre shop said it could be due to the tyres being used but I dont know if thats true...does anyone have any ideas on what the cause could be?

thanks

this is currently happenening to my car, i thought i hda someone letting my tyres down, had the tyre reseated and re beaded and it still lets it out slowly, when it snowed though they stayed up fine, no signs of puncture when tyre was off, guess im gonna have to either get new tyres or get new rims and tyres just to make sure it doesnt continue... then try and explain why to the mrs haha

Get a tea spoon of fairy in an empty 2 litre milk bottle & fill it slowly with water. Use this to pour on the tyre & you will see where it's leaking. If it is from around the rim, get the tyre garage to take the tyre off & you inspect the bead for damage. If the tyre isn't damaged then wipe the rim down or if the rim has corrosion use a wire brush & clean up the rough parts, then get them to refit the tyres using bead sealer.

I think it's either the tires being quite old and porous, or your rims not properly sealed in case you separate them to wash them or whatever...

thanks again

this is currently happenening to my car, i thought i hda someone letting my tyres down, had the tyre reseated and re beaded and it still lets it out slowly, when it snowed though they stayed up fine, no signs of puncture when tyre was off, guess im gonna have to either get new tyres or get new rims and tyres just to make sure it doesnt continue... then try and explain why to the mrs haha

haha definately a good excuse for new rims

might sound stupid but have you checked the valve, mine drop from 36psi to 13psi in 4 weeks because of leaky valves

yeah I did, its loosing air from around the rim, mine is actually a lot worse with it loosing over 10psi a day

has anyone checked there tyre valves they can leak

that was the first thing i checked and its actually from around the rim

Get a tea spoon of fairy in an empty 2 litre milk bottle & fill it slowly with water. Use this to pour on the tyre & you will see where it's leaking. If it is from around the rim, get the tyre garage to take the tyre off & you inspect the bead for damage. If the tyre isn't damaged then wipe the rim down or if the rim has corrosion use a wire brush & clean up the rough parts, then get them to refit the tyres using bead sealer.

Thanks for the advice I did that and its from more than one spot around the rim.

tell them to use beadsealer on the tyres where they sit on the wheel. works a treat mate

will do thanks