The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's better? Weld in or bolt in roll cage?

Gabriella

Not sure what you mean regarding safety? Weld in cages are far more structurally sound... hence safer.

Bolt in cages are good for convenience and obviously offer far more structural rigidity than no cage at all, but they won't be anywhere near as solid as a weld in. The amount of "points" makes a big difference too :)

Also a cage in the car will raise the risk of head injury. Even with the padding on it still hurts. Also make sure you tell your insurance as some hate the things, for this very reason. Cages were designed with helmets in mind.

Again my seats are very low and even with fancy high hairstyle i still have about 10cm to reach the roof i have also 4 point harnesses.

4 point harness will make a huge difference.

I'm thinking the reason why you have read about bolt in as being safer is possibly because you were looking at half cages? The main danger is the bar across the sunvisor, on a proper cage it will be there in both :)

A bolt in cage adds some extra chassis stiffness but surprisingly, not a lot. Why? Because when we talk of chassis flex on fairly modern coupe shells we are talking of fractions of an inch. A bolted interface without dowels or high accuracy holes and consideration for what direction movement may occur allows a lot of movement. and although excellent, when correctly fitted, at stopping the shell lozenging in a big accident, a bolt in cage doesn't do much for shell rigidity. A welded in cage with all tube unions also welded results in no interface movement save due to tube flex, or the flex of the spreader plates in and on the shells panels. They are infinitely better at adding rigidity to a steel shell. Some modern weld in cages are CAD designed to be mainlystiffness adding skeletons that come with the bonus of anti lozenging properties. If the cage id for competitive usage it may well have to meet certain crteria. many (most...?) Japanese bolt in cages have no UK or European certification, so for race / sprint usage may be useless, regulations wise.

Have you got the 4 points on stock seats?

Also where to have you bolted them to the body of the car.

When you say cage do you mean a rear / half cage?

I have Corbeau FIA standard bucket seats and the harness is bolt to the original seatbelt mountings.

4 point harness will make a huge difference.

I'm thinking the reason why you have read about bolt in as being safer is possibly because you were looking at half cages? The main danger is the bar across the sunvisor, on a proper cage it will be there in both :)

Yes i changed my mind, Im going for a full six point cage now. Little nums crash convinced me that its a good idea but this is not the reason im having it :)

Edited by Gabriella (see edit history)

A bolt in cage adds some extra chassis stiffness but surprisingly, not a lot. Why? Because when we talk of chassis flex on fairly modern coupe shells we are talking of fractions of an inch. A bolted interface without dowels or high accuracy holes and consideration for what direction movement may occur allows a lot of movement. and although excellent, when correctly fitted, at stopping the shell lozenging in a big accident, a bolt in cage doesn't do much for shell rigidity. A welded in cage with all tube unions also welded results in no interface movement save due to tube flex, or the flex of the spreader plates in and on the shells panels. They are infinitely better at adding rigidity to a steel shell. Some modern weld in cages are CAD designed to be mainlystiffness adding skeletons that come with the bonus of anti lozenging properties. If the cage id for competitive usage it may well have to meet certain crteria. many (most...?) Japanese bolt in cages have no UK or European certification, so for race / sprint usage may be useless, regulations wise.

Perfect, Thats the info i wanted. Its going to be built for me over here and up to some regulations (I cant rember which ones though) Thanks Chris

Sounds like a few track days are planned. The setup you have will be fine with a cage as you will be held away from the front cross bar. Are you going to go with a through the dash or a dash dodger as personally I hate dash dodgers as there is more chance the the leg coming in at you if the worst wash to happen.

Sounds like a few track days are planned. The setup you have will be fine with a cage as you will be held away from the front cross bar. Are you going to go with a through the dash or a dash dodger as personally I hate dash dodgers as there is more chance the the leg coming in at you if the worst wash to happen.

Not totally sure which one to go for as of yet but i have the dash dodger in mind.

Edited by Gabriella (see edit history)

Fensport and partbox both supply cussco bolt in cages, i got mine from partbox.com, i went with a through dash with door bars, i cant see anything stopping you from welding it in if needed, its steel.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/

http://partbox.co.uk/

These look good value for a weld in rear cage, shipping might be pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazworx-94-Toyota-Supra-MKIV-U-Weld-Roll-Bar-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efc591bb0QQitemZ270521670576QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

Fensport and partbox both supply cussco bolt in cages, i got mine from partbox.com, i went with a through dash with door bars, i cant see anything stopping you from welding it in if needed, its steel.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/

http://partbox.co.uk/

These look good value for a weld in rear cage, shipping might be pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazworx-94-Toyota-Supra-MKIV-U-Weld-Roll-Bar-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efc591bb0QQitemZ270521670576QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

Brilliant, great info :thumbs: I have found someone to custom built me one :)