The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dashboard problem

Dnk

Its the whole thickness of the dash though not just the vinyl so recovering isn't the cure. The dash needs to be forced back into its original shape and kept there somehow, i was thinking of it being glued in place back onto the demist vent perhaps.

I dread to think what a new dash would cost :blink:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

As far as I know this is a common thing with supra dashes as Ive seen many having this problem, including mine starting to :)

I remember few years ago a member fixed his one using a special glu and had to touch up the edges with black marker but I cant find the damn post!

Im thinking of having the screen out to make it easy to get at then something like sikaflex to glue it in place with, if its held down while the glues going off i think that might work.

Im contemplating fitting a new screen anyway so kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak :)

Be good to know if theres a special glue that works though so if you can find any more info i'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Dunk

I've got a dash here you can have for free dunk :) It needs a repair around lower section near the transmission tunnel, as the backing has snapped (the surface is unmarked IIRC.

Thats very generous of you :thumbs: i'll let you know how i get on fixing mine and think as long as i can find a glue that will do the job then it should be fixable.

if its not that bad can one not use a heatgun to shape it back into place

Its the heat thats caused this in the first place but that should make the dash a bit more plyable so i'll see if that helps, to get it warmed up i can pop the de mist heat vent on full hot which should help as well

About £150 iirc i bought a new one for my respray about 18 months ago

Sounds about right

I just took a black marker and painted the foam black. That kind of did the trick. At least it isn't as easy to spot.

But you need to do that once a year as the black from the marker gets eaten by the sun or something..

Exactly the same way I repair my greedy lip :) I have s little sharpieon my letting :)

Any idea what a new screen would cost dnk? Mine is covered in 16 years of tiny chips. Driving into the sun really shows it up

I've just got off the phone with SM and a new screen from Toyota will cost me £198.55 inc vat but collection only.

The dash is fairly bad but not as expensive as i thought it might be, £717.34 inc vat to me

I just took a black marker and painted the foam black. That kind of did the trick. At least it isn't as easy to spot.

But you need to do that once a year as the black from the marker gets eaten by the sun or something..

I think mines a liitle bit beyond a marker pen hiding it, the pic i took is with it cold, put the heater on full de mist and it rises to about 40 mm out of the plastic vent. Colouring the edge will help though but i'll know its not right which i can't live with and if all else fails it'll get a new dash and windscreen

Any idea what a new screen would cost dnk? Mine is covered in 16 years of tiny chips. Driving into the sun really shows it up

Spoke to my local windscreen guy today and to supply and fit a new screen plus remove the old one and dispose of it he wants £150 cash

Mines lifting in the same way, always thought one of the previous owners may have had dash out and not put it back properly. Could some of the thick backing be removed (non vinyl side) to take some of the strength out of the warping, then the vinly surface and thinner backing be glued back down easier. Should be less chance of relifting with less backing material trying to push upward.