The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new key dont work

peter richards

my original that ive had for years fell apart a few weeks ago , so i got a toyota blank from e bay , had it cut last week , so went down the old mans house today , thats where the car is , and it doesnt work , it goes into the ignition but wont turn .

to look at it it looks spot on , but funny how the shop that cut it said to wifey he couldnt guarantee it will work .

any ideas guys ?

my original that ive had for years fell apart a few weeks ago , so i got a toyota blank from e bay , had it cut last week , so went down the old mans house today , thats where the car is , and it doesnt work , it goes into the ignition but wont turn .

to look at it it looks spot on , but funny how the shop that cut it said to wifey he couldnt guarantee it will work .

any ideas guys ?

they wont guarenttee the work as you didnt buy the key blank from the shop ;) The Key may just need a little filing to work properly

Maybe the old original key was worn and the new ones been cut to the worn shape rather than the right one. Might be that the the worn key and worn ignition still fitted together okay. Either that or the new ones just not quite right.

Does it fot in the doors?

Was the new key a non transponder key?

I remember reading somewhere that the originals have a transponder in them so that they will only start the engine with that set. Might be worth trying to start the car with the new set with the old one close by.

Not sure if what I say is correct but I guess it is worth a try.

i had this before when i broke my key,

i only had one key for the car & i snapped it in half! took the 2 ends to a keymaker,

it didnt work at 1st.

then it worked if you applied different pressures & motions as you tried to turn the car over,

then eventually this came more easy & in the end it started as new :)

keep playing around with it it may work too :)

ok i see what you mean , before i butcher it i might take it back to the shop that cut it and see what they can suggest .

i know they said there was no guarantee , but as si said i didnt buy the blank from them , but even if i did it wouldnt of worked

How did it go?

You can always get a black marker pen and apply it to the cut edge all the way round and see which bits wear off the most on insertion and twisting. Might reveal a high spot or two ;)

They might look the same but it really takes hardly any inaccuracy to not fit. I wouldn't use pliers either, or you might be looking at a new lock barrel too. Don't force it if it won't fit without lubrication (and the same goes for the key!) ;)

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

Was the new key a non transponder key?

I remember reading somewhere that the originals have a transponder in them so that they will only start the engine with that set. Might be worth trying to start the car with the new set with the old one close by.

Not sure if what I say is correct but I guess it is worth a try.

Supras don't have a transponder....

I don't think it's because you did not buy the blank from them, I had a key press at work that I wanted more spare keys for the team, I took my key to the store and had 5-8 new keys made up, from blanks that they supplied. 2 did not work, and 2 you had to twist and turn a little to get them to work....the rest were fine. All cut by the same person, there and then using the same original key to cut from.

I'm not sure I would be using any glue.....if it were to snap off and you could not get it out.....how much is a new ignition ?????

Best of luck :)

ok as said, before i cut out the shank i took it back to the shop just now different guy there today he set it back on the machine and the other guy had cut certain ares to deep , so basically fooooked it up , but as i didnt buy the blank there he couldnt help me .

so ill remove the shank and glue in the old one , bit of a run around but there you go

ok as said, before i cut out the shank i took it back to the shop just now different guy there today he set it back on the machine and the other guy had cut certain ares to deep , so basically fooooked it up , but as i didnt buy the blank there he couldnt help me .

so ill remove the shank and glue in the old one , bit of a run around but there you go

Did you get refunded for the botch job that he did?

nope , he did say before he cut it that there was no guarantee as i was supplying the key

I would still argue the case due to the fact that it was his incompetence that caused the issue (cutting too deep), not the key. I can understand why he wouldn't guarantee the key, as the thicknesses could be off, but if it was cut incorrectly then that has to be down to the person that cut it.