The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quote Question .. regarding upgrade?

greeksuprakent

Hi guys,

I have my 1995 Auto N/A J Spec supra ... and I wondered .. what would be the cost of the following 3 options :

1. Install a turbo so make it a single turbo

2. Buy a twin turbo engine and all the bits and bobs needed to make it work

3. Or just sell and buy a twin turbo?

How much do you think each option would cost???? Anyone done any research? :innocent:

I know .. .although the forum today does my headin ... as it keeps saying server reset and it goes to cannot display page ... have to post more than once to see my post :( Must be a problem with the hosting server!

lol

But I must admit i did not try to search before I post...

I might think of trying to source a good twin turbo engine then hehehe

Keron does a TT conversion including fitting for around 2.5K. TBH, the only reason i see viable for going NA-TT is either a.) You have a 5 speed and you want to keep it manual (cant afford a Manual TT) or b.) Your attached to your current car and or it has alot of money spent on it. I'd rather have a proper TT anyday, Auto's are very affordable these days.

The most expensive option would be to fit a turbo to your NA. Don't consider a cheap Ebay kit the quality of them is poor. The only reliable way to do an NA-T install would be to use a quality kit from say PHR, Boostlogic, Whifbitz, etc. you've then got to budget for fueling upgrades, ECU, sensors and mapping, cooling, gauges, etc. to do proper conversion will cost around the price of a TT.

Swapping a 2JZ-GTE engine into you NA may be appealing but resale value will never be the same as a standard TT. Only swapping the engine would mean you are stuck with an NA auto gearbox and gearing. Also 2JZ-GTE engines are in short supply.

For me the best and probably the cheapest option would be to sell the NA and buy a TT.

OK I have done it, I have bought a Toyota MR2 MK2, Rev3 G Limited N/A model T-Bar... just for a couple of months ... looks the business will post pics once I pick up over the weekend :)

You decided to sell, sold and rebought all in the space of 7 days??!!

Ladies and gents, I think we have a winner!

Going to buy this MR2 this Saturday coming ... (day after tomorrow)

any advices on what to look guys in case anyone of you owned them before etc ?? ;)

toyota mr2 Glimited (LSD model) t-bar rev3 IMPORT in met black,

manual, 90k with lots of history and bills,

MOT'd

17” rota alloys (nearly new)

japspeed ss exhaust

massive induction kit,

veilside spoiler

turbo roof scoop,

lowered suspension,

cat 1 alarm/immob,

full leather interior,

momo steering wheel and gearknob,

removable t-bar roof,

Electric Windows,

Electric Mirrors also retract with remote,

PAS, ABS,

Fingers crossed in a couples of months I will be able to buy my Twin Turbo Supra ... as I already miss my N/A :(

mr2.jpg

Any idea what budget you want to expend on the Supe. There is a lovely VVTI on pistonheads with low miles for 7.5k. People have tried chewing their arms off for it.

Search for "does anyone else think this is cheap" it is.

I have seen that I must admit it is LOVELY and I would have it tomorrow ... but I don't have the funds yet.

I am hoping in a couple of months to have the money.

But this time I will go for a manual Supra I think.

I am only spending just over £1000 for the MR2 ... so I have enough left for the Supra ... a bit over half the budget I think.

I think aiming for about £8K sounds reasonable.

You decided to sell, sold and rebought all in the space of 7 days??!!

Ladies and gents, I think we have a winner!

Few months back, i bought my Supra, sold my Evo the next day, then bought a 1990 classic mini 2 days later :D Not a bad 4 days work haha.

8K is reasonable, its on the low end of the Manual scale. If you save another 1k while your looking, then you should have no trouble getting a manual for 9k :)

• 2 weeks later...