The mkiv Supra Owners Club

About to wade in, good idea?

NathWraith

Hi guys,

Been looking at Supras for a while (N/As only), I made a thread a few weeks back asking for tip, advice etc and now I think I have found the perfect candidate.

It is a black N/A M reg (95) Supra SZ Auto.

Got the Veilside front bumper and 3 spoke rotor alloys (I think these look sweet but I hear they are like marmite to some people).

70K miles on the clock.

Tax and MOT till September

Pics here :

Now I don't think the owner is a member on here but not 100% sure as I contacted from the original advert on Pistonheads (which has now expired).

He is asking £2500 for it after orginally wanting £3000.

Now obviously i can't make a 100% decision till I have seen the car in the flesh (metal lol). But the guy is a 3 hour drive from me so I want to make sure I making it worth my while.

Any advice from you guys about checking out the car? (have read the supra buyers guide pdf).

Now my main concern which really isn't anything to do with the actual car is insurance. Now I am 20 but with no "no claims" not crashed or made a claim ever. Have been driving for around 6 months and just don't want to get bummed on insurance as the best quotes I have seen are around 4.5K for a year 3rd party fire and theft.

Now if insurance does prove too much my main plan is to keep the car and restore it (re-fit the interior, rebuild the engine etc) as my step dad was willing to help me on a project like this.

So guys, is it worth going for now or is it too early and you think I should wait abit longer?

Cheers in advance.

If your going to be paying silly money for insurance I'd hold out for a mint example...unless you are stripping it back and doing a rebuild!? Car will cost more but would be worth it if you were planning on keeping it for any length of time!?

Rebuilding an N/A engine is a waste of time IMO, Aslong as its been looked after it will still be dam good.

2.5K is a good price. However 4k insurance? You have to be minted or insane.

Supras are great cars but not even a Twin turbo is worth paying 4k a year to insure IMO

Rebuilding an N/A engine is a waste of time IMO, Aslong as its been looked after it will still be dam good.

2.5K is a good price. However 4k insurance? You have to be minted or insane.

Supras are great cars but not even a Twin turbo is worth paying 4k a year to insure IMO

I meant interior and body...but agree with you re N/A engine and insurance!

Cheers for the comments guys. Yeah it really is just insurance holding me back as I have enough for the car easy. I am planning to have the car a while tbh. I can't comment on the condition of the engine as I haven't seen it yet but from the sounds of what your saying most N/As will be generally quite good.

Any extra things I can do to lower the insurance, like fitting a tracker etc?

I meant interior and body...but agree with you re N/A engine and insurance!

Wasnt refering to your post westy, the OP said

"Now if insurance does prove too much my main plan is to keep the car and restore it (re-fit the interior, rebuild the engine etc) as my step dad was willing to help me on a project like this"

The N/A lump wont need rebuilding.

Cheers for the comments guys. Yeah it really is just insurance holding me back as I have enough for the car easy. I am planning to have the car a while tbh. I can't comment on the condition of the engine as I haven't seen it yet but from the sounds of what your saying most N/As will be generally quite good.

Any extra things I can do to lower insure, like fitting a tracker etc?

Limted miles. You wont get classic insurance as your under 25. Maybe add your dad as a named driver. I remember when my Mrs added me to her policy i lowered it by 30%

Limted miles. You wont get classic insurance as your under 25. Maybe add your dad as a named driver. I remember when my Mrs added me to her policy i lowered it by 30%

Yeah that is good idea will try that. I am going to be using it mainly as a weekend/social car and do my commuting in my current car (VW Polo) so it wont be my daily drive. Would it be worth contacting my insurance company to see if they do a multicar policy or are they a waste of time? (heard stories of them being no cheaper than seperate insurance quotes).

Will try out em all out later on today. So whats the general thoughts on the car? Personally I would prefer a manual but having nver driven an Auto I don't really think I can give judgement yet. What are you guys experiences with manual/auto N/A Supras?

I prefered my 5 speed over the auto that said the auto box is fine. The car is ok once the wheels and front bumper are gone.

Not trying to be a killjoy but how can anyone comment if its a nice car or not without seeing it, has it been serviced properly, is there any service history, proof of low mileage, when was it imported, any mots while its been here, whats it like underneath etc etc

You really need to look beyond the paintwork with these cars

Not trying to be a killjoy but how can anyone comment if its a nice car or not without seeing it, has it been serviced properly, is there any service history, proof of low mileage, when was it imported, any mots while its been here, whats it like underneath etc etc

You really need to look beyond the paintwork with these cars

Yeah I know what you mean. Just wanted to know what everyones general impression was, is all. :)