The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Konnichiwa!

LolaBoost94

I've got a JDM 94 TT 6spd. I've lived in Japan going on 3 years. I got orders to RAF Molesworth in England and I get to take Lola with me. That journey will start in July. Going through the threads, I've noticed many members are actually in England so I look forward to meeting some of you guys. I hear the weather isn't the greatest but I'm pretty stoked about London, seeming most of the bands I like stop through there on their UK tours [GRIN][/GRIN] I'll be posting pics of Lola soon!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mate and welcome :)

get some pics up of your beast we all love pics on here and any plans you have for it ?

Not sure what I want to do just yet. It's still up in the air if I can take her back to the states with me after my 2 years in England is up so I don't want to drop too much money if I'll have to get rid of her. I'm working with an importer now seeing if I can do up a petition and get her legally imported.

Speak to Jurgen on here, he will help you get it here, all the paper work etc

Linky

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?53679-Jm-Imports

Appreciate it! This I already knew but with how retarded the laws are and how deep my pockets AREN'T... I may go out on a limb and try for another overseas tour after England and let her hit 25 years that way I can take her back without having to do extensive work. We'll see how much I miss my family when the times comes to make the decision. Italy is sounding mighty nice though :)

Thanks for the welcomes!

Finally posting the pictures :eyebrows: She's sitting up a little high right now; had to raise it for the Japanese inspection. I'll lower her back down once she makes it to the UK. Hope you like her!! Threw in a pic of myself to put a face to the name :cool:
Oh no! Wait til Ed sees this! :D

Welcome to the club :)

Lola looks nice, though will look great once it's lowered again.

Finally posting the pictures :eyebrows: She's sitting up a little high right now; had to raise it for the Japanese inspection. I'll lower her back down once she makes it to the UK. Hope you like her!! Threw in a pic of myself to put a face to the name :cool:

HOVIS :)

Oh wait do they have hovis in japan?

Welcom to the club and don't mind Ed he's harmless!! Lol

What is it you do in Japan, or will you have to kill us once you tell us? :(

I'm in the Air Force doing Supply Support for F-16 Aircraft. Nothing secret, kind of chill actually. They need a part, I order it and turn in the old parts back to the main warehouse for shipping out. Kind of nice being around the jets though... always some maintenance to help out with on the line.

Speak to Jurgen on here, he will help you get it here, all the paper work etc

Linky

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?53679-Jm-Imports

Sadly, this is not something that Jurgen would be able to help with, I recantly asked about this on Supraforums and got some helpfull info, here you go:

To expand on what you said, US laws concerning foreign market RHD cars are such that it doesn't matter if an LHD version was sold here, if it's RHD it's different enough that it has to pass the whole series of crash tests, and get fitted for a whole host of equipment to make it compliant with all the NHTSA, DOT, and EPA laws for vehicles sold in the US for that model year as if it were a totally different car.

Cars that are 1996 model year and newer have to have an OBD-II compliant ECU for inspection stations to scan for trouble codes, etc, and that was something strictly developed stateside.

J-OBD and similar systems from around the world don't work the same way.

So basically if you wanted to wreck 8 of them for crash testing, deal with fitting the required safety equipment for them to pass NHTSA crash safety standards for that year, design and retrofit an EGR system and such to make the EPA happy, and then install DOT compliant glass, headlamps, etc all around, and then develop and install an OBD-II compliant ECU, then you can import your RHD JDM car.

The only glimmer of hope is that cars 25 years old or older are all exempt from the DOT, EPA, and NHTSA regulations and so they can be imported with much less hassle. So, hopefully all the Supras and GT-R's and such aren't all gone by the time that rolls around.

If you want to know more, there's been a billion threads started by idiots wanting to import a JDM car thinking they know a way around the system. There are JDM cars here in the states that are titled and driven on the street, but just because they got a state to issue a title and license plate doesn't mean it's federally legal, and a lot of grey-market GT-R owners in particular are getting their cars seized and crushed or exported.

So sadly, not much help, however, I do believe that if it's been registered in Canada then you are allowed to import it legally into America though as quite a few of the RHD's sold in Canada go to the US. So if you have any freinds in Canada, get them to register your car as there's and then import it across to the US.

Anyway, welcome, where abouts in the US are you from?

Sadly, this is not something that Jurgen would be able to help with, I recantly asked about this on Supraforums and got some helpfull info, here you go:

To expand on what you said, US laws concerning foreign market RHD cars are such that it doesn't matter if an LHD version was sold here, if it's RHD it's different enough that it has to pass the whole series of crash tests, and get fitted for a whole host of equipment to make it compliant with all the NHTSA, DOT, and EPA laws for vehicles sold in the US for that model year as if it were a totally different car.

Cars that are 1996 model year and newer have to have an OBD-II compliant ECU for inspection stations to scan for trouble codes, etc, and that was something strictly developed stateside.

J-OBD and similar systems from around the world don't work the same way.

So basically if you wanted to wreck 8 of them for crash testing, deal with fitting the required safety equipment for them to pass NHTSA crash safety standards for that year, design and retrofit an EGR system and such to make the EPA happy, and then install DOT compliant glass, headlamps, etc all around, and then develop and install an OBD-II compliant ECU, then you can import your RHD JDM car.

The only glimmer of hope is that cars 25 years old or older are all exempt from the DOT, EPA, and NHTSA regulations and so they can be imported with much less hassle. So, hopefully all the Supras and GT-R's and such aren't all gone by the time that rolls around.

If you want to know more, there's been a billion threads started by idiots wanting to import a JDM car thinking they know a way around the system. There are JDM cars here in the states that are titled and driven on the street, but just because they got a state to issue a title and license plate doesn't mean it's federally legal, and a lot of grey-market GT-R owners in particular are getting their cars seized and crushed or exported.

So sadly, not much help, however, I do believe that if it's been registered in Canada then you are allowed to import it legally into America though as quite a few of the RHD's sold in Canada go to the US. So if you have any freinds in Canada, get them to register your car as there's and then import it across to the US.

Anyway, welcome, where abouts in the US are you from?

Thanks for the info!! I got on supraforums a bit ago... trying to gather all the info I can get my hands on :) I've contacted a few RI's in Canada hoping they'd be of some help; still waiting on replies. From what I've heard (still checking into it), the RI will transfer it to their name/companies name to be able to get a Canadian title then once all the fees are paid by the customer, I can then pick up the vehicle, do whatever paper needed to get it across the border and go from there. If this is the case, I'm more than willing to go that route given the price is right.

Any who, I was born in New Jersey, moved to South Carolina when I was 12, got stationed in SC for my first base and headed over to Japan a couple years after that. It's been a journey but it's been an awesome journey! Thanks for the welcomes!