The mkiv Supra Owners Club

seat belt can be fixed?

trinitom

I'm pretty sure you can fix them. Try pulling the belt right out and spraying some WD40 at on the end of it to relubricate the internals. Obv dont spray it on the part which will be on your shoulder :p

thanks mate, hope that works as the belt have some electric mechanism that retract the belt when i turn the ignition off.

I tried cleaning and then eventually pulled it apart to have a go at increasing the tension on the spring. While it may improve the issue it's a bit hit or miss when it comes to how many times to rotate the spring. In the end the thing exploded when I was trying to test it (my fault for not screwing it back together first) and I just bought a new one from Toyota. One of the best things I've ever done to the car for the money vs grief it was giving me.

I tried cleaning and then eventually pulled it apart to have a go at increasing the tension on the spring. While it may improve the issue it's a bit hit or miss when it comes to how many times to rotate the spring. In the end the thing exploded when I was trying to test it (my fault for not screwing it back together first) and I just bought a new one from Toyota. One of the best things I've ever done to the car for the money vs grief it was giving me.

Would you have the part number and price for both sides to hand. I think quite a few people suffer with this issue. I'm one, just haven't got to doing anything about it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit. Found the EPU finally. Are these the parts you used? Link

Edited by AndyT
New info (see edit history)

How much did you get one for (and how easy are they to fit)?

I've got the same problem, if you disconect the belt and reconnect it tensions fine, I'm going to have a go at disconecting the latch wire as below

Supraforums "Sorry to jump in here, but I think that UCANTRY disconnected the wire going to the seatbelt latch instead of the wire going to the seatbelt retractor.

If you disconnect the one going to the seatbelt latch, the car will think that you're never wearing your seatbelt, and the warning light will be lit. If you disconnect the one going to the seatbelt retractor, the warning light will light up only when it's supposed to, and the car can't tell the retractor to "relax", so the tension will always be higher. I did this to my Supra right after I bought it. I like the added tension (it's only a little bit)."

My only concern is the possibility of it effecting the airbag operation - does anybody know ?

Cheers

Gerry

Let Mr T deal with the PN side of things based on my VIN. Not sure on price, might have been 50 quid for the drivers side. Had seen cheaper aftermarket parts on ebay however.

Fitting is just the B pillar trim and a couple of large mouting bolts. Thinking more about it, I think the B pillar trim is actually the complete speaker trim also which perhaps needed the rear trim removing first or/and rear seats. Simple clip and screw stuff that you'll figure out on inspection.

Edited by 4packet (see edit history)