The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another cracked windscreen!!!

neo2810

So I noticed a stone chip in the middle of my windscreen in Nov. It was smaller in length than a 5p piece and not obstructing my view so I called my insurance glass number (basically Autoglass) and they came out the next day and gel filled it, giving me a reciept which included a lifetime guarantee.

Sorted...... I thought.

I got to work this morning and noticed the crack had spread to about an inch in size. So not sorted then...

At lunchtime I spotted an Autoglass van doing someone else's car in the work parking lot so I collared him to have a look and he confirmed a new screen was required.

I took the details off the receipt and called Autoglass back. They logged the job and told me I'd get a call. When I got home (it was dark) I managed to catch a glimpse of the crack when the interior light came on and lo and behold, I now have a crack at least half the length of the screen. So it appears it's growing at an alarming rate and will no doubt keep growing until I have a full length crack across the screen. It's high enough (about middle) to not obscure my vision directly (provided I don't encounter a low flying plane or a bird with a death wish) so I'm happy to just drive until they get the replacement screen which I assume they will fit for free under the guarantee.

Now this is where the problem may lie. The bloke I spoke to was unsure whether Toyota still supply the tinted Supra screens (blue sunscreen tint across the top, about 2-3 inches down) so may have to replace with a non-tinted.

Has anyone recently replaced a top tinted screen, and if so, was there UK stock or did you have to wait for a Jap import (my Sup is an import)?

Feel for you Tony mate. Try giving Hodgson Toyota a call near the Tay Barns on 0843 2080779 and see if they can give you a part price using the import VIN number from your car.

I've been down there recently with a list of part numbers and some of their prices were quite reasonable.

Feel for you Tony mate. Try giving Hodgson Toyota a call near the Tay Barns on 0843 2080779 and see if they can give you a part price using the import VIN number from your car.

I've been down there recently with a list of part numbers and some of their prices were quite reasonable.

Cheers Steve but its being repaired under warrenty by Autoglass.

Had a result anyway. The chap called me this morning and said they have a screen in stock with only a minor difference where the black border extends down to the rear view mirror join in a v shape. Hardly a rejection issue so I accepted that and it's being replaced tomorrow at 1. So much for no appointments till Wed. Methinks he was having a bad day yesterday :p