The mkiv Supra Owners Club

head gasket and head studs

sim1987

hi all i have a head gasket leak on my 94 n/a and was just wondering what sort of prices a gasket and new bolts would be so far all i have found are hks headgaskets 1.2 mm at £312 and apr head bolts at £175 can any one recomend a store or web site where i might get them cheeper .thanks

You need to check your head bolts as they are reusable. Refer to the workshop manual inspection guide and check for stretch in the bolts as they are Torque To Yield bolts (TTY). If they are out of spec then look to get new ones or if inclined ARP head bolts. For what its worth I found a place selling ARP head bolts for £139.99 (funky power).

valve regrind kit is what you need. I know it sounds nothing like what you need but comes with headgasket and all upper engine gaskets you need, valve stem seals aswell (if you dont want to do them you can always sell them on). Think it was about £170 from steve manly

:yeahthat:

You need to check your head bolts as they are reusable. Refer to the workshop manual inspection guide and check for stretch in the bolts as they are Torque To Yield bolts (TTY). If they are out of spec then look to get new ones or if inclined ARP head bolts. For what its worth I found a place selling ARP head bolts for £139.99 (funky power).

will check the spec on the bolts just off the phone to toyota for the gasket it is £72+VAT and for the bolts £15 +VAT per bolt i think there are 14 bolts so i would be cheeper to get the APR bolt.

will check the spec on the bolts just off the phone to toyota for the gasket it is £72+VAT and for the bolts £15 +VAT per bolt i think there are 14 bolts so i would be cheeper to get the APR bolt.

Do you know why the head gasket is leaking, has the car overheated? If it has you may find the head has warped and needs replacing, shouldn't be expensive to find a 2nd hand 2JZ-GE motor.

Ask them for the price of the Valve Grind Kit it includes all the gaskets and seals you will need to replace the head, including the head gasket.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9239/picture1uo5.png

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Do you know why the head gasket is leaking, has the car overheated? If it has you may find the head has warped and needs replacing, shouldn't be expensive to find a 2nd hand 2JZ-GE motor.

Ask them for the price of the Valve Grind Kit it includes all the gaskets and seals you will need to replace the head, including the head gasket.

car didnt overheat to much just a little over running temp, got a little steam out of the expansion tank and turned it of found emulsified oil in the oil cap.

car didnt overheat to much just a little over running temp, got a little steam out of the expansion tank and turned it of found emulsified oil in the oil cap.

A bit of emulsified oil can be due to condensation, has the head gasket definitely gone? Head gasket failure is not a common fault which is why I ask.