The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Brake Caliper Referb Questions

supra steveo

having a few problems with a set of UK calipers ( well just 1 caliper really) i bought a while back, the two halves of one of the calipers seems to be stuck together by the pad pins , can i just smack it with a hammer to loosen it off ? any way i need to start the referb on them properly, so what other things should i be looking out for and changing ? ive already got a front seal replacement kit, just i need to buy the rear one now and then i think the rear calipers are good to be sand blasted and then powder coated black :) will be needing some oem discs too would like some nice looking drilled / grooved discs but ive been told to I should stick with toyota's oem discs so i am taking the advice

below the pictures so far if you can spot anything i need to get then let me know and if you have the part number even better

cheers

65e23400.jpg

f5e789f2.jpg

fb2918b5.jpg

922928a8.jpg

If you go to most car accessory shops, or even DIY shops, you should be able to get an "O" ring that fits, I did and have had no problems.

You'll need to make sure it'll cope with high temps and i'd have thought there would be differant o ring materials for differant applications. I personally wouldn't risk using an o ring unless i new it was able to cope with the varying heat cycle they go through.

• 2 weeks later...

ah ok mate, ive sorted the caliper that was stuck i had to cut the pins in half and the rear half of the caliper looks buggered, the pins wont budge :( so ive bought the rear part off someone who did a brake referb and the front part of the caliper wrecked on him :) bargain, stroke of luck it was the same caliper

• 2 weeks later...

right guys :D today i picked up the center caliper seals that chris wilson sent me :D now i just need to get the pistons out then give them a bloody good scrub

1st question how do i get the pistons out :( ?

2nd question as these pistons are honking can i hammerite inside the piston and the bit that touches the pads ?

I used compressed air and carefully blew them out, i did this whilst both halves were still bolted together and put a piece of wood between the pistons.

Or wrap some masking tape or something similar round the end of the piston where the outer seal fits then use pipe grips, twist and pull slowly and they should come out.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

just a wee update:

i am looking for a place to acid dip them on the weekend then i will spray them with hammerite smooth spray

think i am going to hammerite the top of the piston too ? is that a good idea , they are honkin at the moment just gave the pistons a little buff with the dremmel

having a few problems getting the piston out of the outside part of the front calipers :( any ideas ?

Edited by supra steveo (see edit history)

I just did mine with normal cleaning agent. No problems there. Or you can jus buy new pistons. They are not very expensive as far as I remember.

Did you find out about the caliper? Isn't there something else binding the two halves togeather than the "pad pins"? Mine were firmly bonded even though everything was out. When I refurbished the calipers, taking them apart looked like nothing I would want to embark on as well as they ended up looking quite nice anyway on all visible areas

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/public/brakes/fronts_done.jpg

Put new pistons in, they are chrome plated, so acid dipping is no good at all. You should really get the pistons almost all the way out BEFORE removing the calipers from the hydraulic system, using the pedal to slowly push them out and a second person to lever them so they come out evenly. Obviously you do this initially with no pads, and finally with the caliper off the disc itself. Without the right tools ( a proper brake piston clamp of the right size), getting them out off the car with no hydraulic or air supply can be a nightmare.

They aren't and the correct caliper half seals are square section, not round. This thread is frightening the hell out of me....

i hope not , i bought the half caliper seals off you, i bought the rear seal caliper repair kit yesterday since you didnt have any chris but i needed it anyway ,how much are caliper pistons chris ? looking for a full set too , this is getting bloody expensive now :(