The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bold claims in an N/A ad?

mistertwo

I'm currently waiting around until I see the "right" N/A come up...so I'm perpetually looking on PH, AT, eBay et al and must read far too many of these ads.

Anyway, I love a long, well written ad and this is one of them:

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2366197.htm

I was starting to think this could be a really nice car, with a reasonable mileage with a little otimistic price tag. Then I read the following comments, which did leave me wondering:

It is only a second slower to 60

Really? Than a TT? Correct me if wrong, but I don't think so?

price of a twin turbo (+ the na sounds nicer)

Does the N/A sound that good? I've never been lucky enough to hear the two parked next to one another!

The clutch is abit squeaky, but if you go on the Supra forum you will quickly find out that there probably isn't a supra out there without a noisey clutch!

Is this a common issue with the Supe or the N/A? I've never read this in an ad before.

Anyway, I don't want to go through ripping the whole ad apart. Understandably, this guy obviously loves his car - but these sort of comments do make me wonder what else he's try to "sex-up".

What are your opinions on the car otherwise & sorry for the newbie questions and long winded post!

Cheers,

Josh

if its close I'd say it's worth a look.........it's better than a lot of ad's

more like 1.5-1.75 secs slower...........yes Na's are louder/more fruity than tt's with just a cat back exhaust, down to the individual as to whether this is a plus/minus point!...........and no 5 speeds don't all squeak, the 6 speeds make various noises but the 5 speed should be quiet, saying that it may well be just a squeaky pedal.....but could be something more costly to sort.

Not sure if it's a problem for you but I'd be looking for ABS and ideally a LSD (which this may or may not have) so worth checking as the ABS is 50%* re Na's and the diff perhaps 20%*

*these % are pure guestimates based on my experience of for sale ads

Top advice mate good guestimates. :thumbs:

Take a copy of this allong with you on your laptop it will tell you what the equipment speck of the car is......

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?41702-VIN-plate-decoder&highlight=vin+plate+check

N/A's are louder, faster and all the Supras have loud clutches!

Or...

N/A's can sound deeper indeed.

I've heard that the noisey clutch is common. I've got a noisey clutch (but only when pressed and released - it's squeaks from within the gearbox). But this was said from people who replied to my thread about it, so it might not be that common.

That looks like a decent car to me. He's a bit optimistic about the acceleration but overall, there is nothing in the ad that makes me think he is a scammer and the car looks clean and is well priced. You could wait around for a facelift for about £4k but they don't come up often.

H.

I'd have a look if it's close as it does look nice. But I bought an 1997 facelift NA in November with 43k miles, full leather, RSR exhaust etc in very good nick for £3,200 (was originally advertised for £3999) so I would bring his price down a bit or have another look round. Some people are very optimistic when they put their prices on (I think!) as you do get attached to these cars...... before you get to that stage buy it with your head not your heart!