The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Guys, newbie here with a couple of questions

DamanC

Hi guys

nice forum :thumbs:

i currently drive a saxo (yes i know) and am looking to get me a supra :)

i have a few questions,

after looking around the model numbers are confusing me :confused:

i believe there are two engine types that you can get.....the 3ltr V6 and the 3ltr V6 Twn turbo

both models are available in an automatic version, and both can be obtained as the aerotop version except you can only get an aerotop TT version in an automatic

could someone give me a run down of the model numbers and what they mean please?

also whats the sevicing/maintaince like? every 10k? what sort of cost is involved?

sorry for rabitting on,

thanks for your help in advance :)

Daman

Daman,

Welcome mate. It will be the best choice you will make if you get one...:D

The N/A version is a V6. The TT's are straight six engines.

Obviously if you can insure it I would go for a TT. If not don't even take one for a test drive as once you've driven one you will be hooked and the N/A will seem a little sluggish...:p

The GZ is the top of the range with leather etc, the RZ and RZ-s vary greatly as in Japan mostly everything is an option.

All UK cars are GZ's.

My advice to you is to try the auto and the manual and see which you prefer, with very little mods they are almost identical speed wise.

Cheers,

:cool:

Both [NA] non-turbo (SZs) and [TT] twin turbos (RZs or GZs) are inline sixes (have you been surfing Bonsai's website?)

Coming from a Saxo, even a VTR, the NA will seem very rapid. The TT even more so. Whether you want to jump straight from a relatively low powered FWD car to a very powerful RWD car might be an issue. If not, or if you are on a tight budget and a potential 2K repair bill would cripple you, or if you want the car mostly for looks, then the NA would be the way to go. Otherwise, so long as you survive the first 3 months or so, you'll probably get used to the TT's power and strive to make it go faster (something you can't really do with an NA). Insurance isn't really an issue, since it's very similar for either... although a modded TT is obviously gonna up it quite a bit. Definitely don't discount the autos.

Service schedule is every 9,000 miles (6,000 for early cars I believe), with oil changes every 3K on the TT.

HTH

:looney:

Originally posted by Barry

I think thats what I'm trying to get at! :D

Shame on you Matt B for not knowing your engines!!! ;) :p

Whoops..

:stupid: I've never really taken much notice of the N/A cars... Never even seen one in fact...

I thought I read the early ones were V6's somewhere???? :read:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Matt B

Whoops..

:stupid: I've never really taken much notice of the N/A cars... Never even seen one in fact...

:twak: Thats nice isn't it!!!

You've seen mine, I may not have flashed my engine about, but you've definitely seen my car :)

Na's are great motor's and what Lust says about possible repair bills is valid. early (93) TT's are still in the main very reliable but subject to niggles that can cost quite a few quid, a late NA (97-98) will be around the same price, but almost certainly will be hassle free for years IMO.

There are some great value NA's around, manual 6-speed R plate uk braked Gunmetal for £8000 (pre haggling), which is a good £5K cheaper than a equivalent TT and will be fun (0-60 in 6.5 ish and genuine 140+mph top end), you just need to be sure you won't be power hungry in 6 months or if you are be prepared to lose a little upgrading (however i don't think you'd lose much on the one i mention above)

Originally posted by Faye

:twak: Thats nice isn't it!!!

You've seen mine, I may not have flashed my engine about, but you've definitely seen my car :)

Sorry Faye:thumbs: Your car was so nice I did not even know it was a N/A... No offence meant....:)

Anyway, I'm part of your clan now cos my turbo's are blown!!! :D

Sorry Faye:thumbs: Your car was so nice I did not even know it was a N/A... No offence meant....:)

Anyway, I'm part of your clan now cos my turbo's are blown!!! :D

None taken :) and you did a superb line in grovelling there

Sorry to hear about the turbos, that ones thing I don't have to worry about :D

cheers for the replys guys :)

muchos appreciated

The VTS ive currently got is fairly nippy as std (stated 7.7 0-60) and of course its been modded so its probably not too far of the NA supra, if i got a NA supra i can garentee ill be power hungry 2 weeks down the line!

so GZ is a british supra

RZ and RZ-s are from the east

so to tell if they are a turbo version it will say turbo after or TT?

its just that im looking on autotrader.co.uk and it seems hard to tell the difference.

so a GZ could be a NA or a TT?

i sound so blond! :blink:

ive had an insurance quote and its litterally a couple of hundred pound more than the saxo :)

Automatics seem to be a tad cheaper than the manuals too, is there much of the diference between the TT manual and TT automatic?

cheers again guys

PS i think ill be spending alot of time on here now! lol

To check differences in spec between Supras then most people forget that the technical section has all the differences listed.

Goto top of you web browser and click on 'Imports' then click on 'Import Supra Differences'.

That should give you most of the info you are after.

Originally posted by DamanC

so GZ is a british supra

No, a GZ is a J-Spec import.

It was the top of the range of the early Jap imports.

correct

either. If a car advert doesn't mention that it's a twin turbo then you can be sure it isn't.
Nope, a GZ is always a JSpec TT
Can I ask how you found this BBS? Through a search engine or someone you know, or what? (It relates to another thread from yesterday) Thanks

The VTS ive currently got is fairly nippy as std (stated 7.7 0-60) and of course its been modded so its probably not too far of the NA supra, if i got a NA supra i can garentee ill be power hungry 2 weeks down the line!

With all due respect, they're probably not comparable. The difference between a VTS Saxo and an NA mkiv will be greater than the difference between an NA and a TT Supra. An SZ will get to 100mph 5 seconds quicker than a Saxo and will fly up to 120 (in 4th) and onto a genuine 150mph (probably 165 on the dial). Cornering will be no comparison either.

Still, if you are power hungry, you will get bored with a NA, so TT is probably the car for you (just give it uber respect if you aren't used to RWD).

:looney:

thansk for clearing that up jake, the table under the import differences explains too........cant find another table like that anywhere!

yeah i found the forum from a google search, this place popped up and bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt :)

typical newbie question, but what does BBS stand for? (please dont laugh) :stupid:

cheers lust2luv, you are probably right

any other places bar autotrader.co.uk to hunt for a supra?

none that i know of really....... Just to let you know there's not alot catching my eye on there at the moment (i've tried giving up looking, but i can't help myself!) there are often more interesting ones about....

as for auto v manual, loads of discussions previously but if you think you'll be ok with an auto you will have a far wider choice of cars to look at............

cheers for the replys guys :)

muchos appreciated

so GZ is a british supra

its just that im looking on autotrader.co.uk and it seems hard to tell the difference.

i sound so blond! :blink:

ive had an insurance quote and its litterally a couple of hundred pound more than the saxo :)

Automatics seem to be a tad cheaper than the manuals too, is there much of the diference between the TT manual and TT automatic?

cheers again guys

Not quite right mate... All U.K's are GZ models but you can certainly get Jap GZ's as well.

RZ and RZ-S will deffo be from the East.

Autos are normally cheaper to buy than manuals as they are slightly more common but as I said I would try both.

Hope that helps

:cool:

Not quite right mate... All U.K's are GZ models but you can certainly get Jap GZ's as well.

Hi Matt,

Does the GZ come with glass or plastic headlights?

What about the injector sizes?

Or the dildos?

etc etc

The UK Spec isn't a GZ !

:thumbs: