The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie on the hunt for a Supra..... For my DAD

Guest chris_gray1980

Guest chris_gray1980

Hi All

I am not a Supra owner ( I WISH ) but my dad is having a mid-life crisis and he wants a Twin Turbo Supra as a 'TOY' so i thought i would join the best forum on the internet and get hunting for him, i personally do not know a great deal about these awesome machines so any buying advice would be great.

The Supra for my dad doesnt have to be imacculate or even on the road (as long as it runs) it can be a bit of a project for him (keeps him out of trouble :p) so if you know of anything please let me know, cash is waiting :eyebrows:

I personally own a Ford Capri, no ordinary Ford Capri but its an Old Spice one :p i won it as part of an Old Spice promotion and that has become my TOY lol, but if anyone is interested in it for a Supra let me know lol :innocent:

The Forum looks like an amazing place and stacked FULL of great info and the project threads are OUT OF THIS WORLD, i have been a lurker in there for some time now [GRIN][/GRIN]

Chris

Guest chris_gray1980

Hey All

Thank you for all yoru quick replies

LOL.... i would be a lovely Son if i was buying it him BUT I BLOODY AINT lol... he isnt very good on the Internet as yet so i thought i would lend him a hand (plus i may get to borrow it every now and then lol)

well the budget is as little as possible lol, but probably in the region of £4000, i have told him that even in low season a TT for £4k is a bargain so he is well aware lol.. we have seen one local to us on Piston Heads for £2500 which is currently SORN but we cannot get in touch with the Guy at all, no phone number, i am trying to track him down on the internet but not had much luck as yet.

Thanks again

Chris

Just looked on PH. No pictures and no phone number, run Forest run..!!:run:

Your budget is a tad optimistic but sometimes they do come up. I looked around for 6 months at "bargains" and found a lot of poorly looked after Supras that were alledgedly in "good" condition.

For £6.5K you could get a lot of car (Movistars), you would have no real problem getting your money back either. A £4K TT to easily cost you £2K if you are not careful..!!

I learned the hard way by buying a cheap Supe and then spent £3k making it the car I wanted and that was an NA.

H.

Guest chris_gray1980

oh god, i dont doubt they are Money pits, but he is dead set on one lol, i have warned him lol

I know its a small budget and i am trying to raise im up a little ;)

A few pics of the Capri since you asked :p

:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Guest chris_gray1980

No, i can imagine cheap is a very bad thing, but parents will only learn one way and that is the hard way lol

Yes, the Capri is a 2.8i at the moment, i am contemplating a 2.9 transplant but im not sure yet, its just more money to spend and the 2.8i is mighty reliable, haha yes you cant beat fresh red leather lol its smells so darn good......

Hi Chris, welcome, firstly great Capri, those 2.8 lumps are very good engines I had an XR4i for a few years loved it, one of my best.

As everyone has already told you about not being able to get a good Supra for £4000, then, as in your post you are looking for a runner that isn't too bad, there are some around (not many on here though) but it would take quite a lot of money, a lot of self help and time to bring it up and keep it running, but if that's what the old man wants then good hunting, ( I can say old man cos I am one).