The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake bleeders

robin

I have a mate that has one of those, so we went to use it when i put my BBK on.

The thing is they only supply screw fixed caps for the brake fluid tanks, the one on the supra is a twist on cap, so we could not use it and had to do it the old fashioned way... took ages too.

Get a vaccum bleeder and then you dont need any fittings onto the master cylinder reservoir, you just fill up the reservoir, connect the vaccum bleeder to the caliper bleed nipple, pump up the bleeder to creat a vaccum, open the bleed nipple, brake fluid is then drawn into the system, you just need to keep an eye on the reservoir.

Seeley do one. Google vaccum brake bleeder and it brings up a few

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have just read a few threads on bleeding brakes and now have come across something I didn't think of before.....bleeding the ABS. If I am switching from old fluid to new Motul fluid should I drain the ABS (or the entire system) before putting it in? Or will the ABS get replaced as I bleed the calipers?

Guest Joshua
I have just read a few threads on bleeding brakes and now have come across something I didn't think of before.....bleeding the ABS. If I am switching from old fluid to new Motul fluid should I drain the ABS (or the entire system) before putting it in? Or will the ABS get replaced as I bleed the calipers?

The only way to bleed the ABS (at least on a US spec car) is to use the SST SST 09990–00330 (or make one) and activate the Traq pump, which will get the ABS actuators going.

I bleed my brakes before each event and since I get into the ABS on track, I always bleed the ABS as well, takes an additional 5 minutes or so. Here is the page out of the Factory Servie Manual - "FSM" :

Edited by Joshua (see edit history)

Guest Joshua
how do you make an SST?

This SST is just a connector that plugs into the traq pump and 2 wires with aligator clips that go to the battery...there have been threads on Supra Forums on how to make it. The SST cost me about $20 from a Toyota dealership, so it was not worth trying to make one since it was cheap to purchase...