The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the scene but pumped.

Mike2JZ

Hi there everyone,

Will try not to bore you all with a story-of-my-life thing, but my love for imports began at quite a young age (grew up with fast and furious) and I thought the Skyline was for me, and whilst I still would take it any day, the Supra has captivated my thoughts for the past few years (Youtube is such a good resource). Call it young blind sided angst, but I want a Supra of my own as fast as possible. I could rant on about what I love about it, but I'm guessing people reading this have a good idea of what's to love about the Supra :)

Basically, I'll be returning to the UK (probably around Kent or Surrey) for uni and will be 19 by the time I get my licence. I don't know if getting a Supra for my first car is the best idea, but I don't really care. Just want one, the itch is becoming unbearable.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask questions, but might as well since I have your attention(s).

1) Obviously I'll need to get a quote for myself, but do you think the insurance costs between a stock NA Supra and a stock TT would be much higher? (Since I would prefer a TT straight off, but I'll happily settle for an N/A if insurance really hates me that much)

2) Again with insurance, but I've read that Imports cost more to insure then UK models, is there any real set difference between the two in terms of cost or is it specific for each car?

3) Is 5 grand as an absolute top for a stock TT do-able?

4) Got any good stories about starting with your Supras (want to put myself at ease :p)

Anyway, thanks for the read. Though there will be a time lag of a few months before I can start my journey with my Supra and this community, I'm really looking forward to it, so I'll just keep reading the logs and keep researching for myself till then!

Cheers

Mike

Hi, and welcome :)

You face a few obstacles in your quest for a Supra. To start with, insuring a Supra at 19 is going to be difficult, but not impossible. Many places won't even give you a quote, and the ones that do will be very expensive. If you could raise your budget to £7k, you may get a UK spec, which will be much easier to insure than an import.

Unfortunately, if £5k is your maximum budget, a TTs running costs are going to be very hard to cope with. You won't get a manual import TT for less than £7k at the moment, or a uk spec for less than £10K, and the autos are very thirsty. With our fuel prices spiralling, it'll probably cost around £70 to fill your tank, which will disappear at an alarming rate. You could get an NA, but the fuel costs and insurance aren't much better than an import TT, although they are a bit simpler (maybe more reliable) than the TT.

When you say 1st car, do you mean in the UK, or ever? If it's your very first car, i'd look at something else, as a Supra will be a handful. If that is the case, i'd probably look at MX-5s with a view to getting a Supra a couple of years down the line.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Hi and welcome,

Not here to burst the bubble, but if your struggling to raise more than £5k for the car, you may want to rethink slightly as it's not day to day running costs anymore, these cars are getting on now.

If you hang on for the right car, you MAY be able to get a TT just over your budget, a member on here, TopgunTT has had his up nearly a year, and was itro £5.3k, so it may be possible.

Hang around, look all over the forum, ask questions. It's a lovely place to be.

How come your over in Switzerland, do like the place, but everywhere seems to be uphill!!

Welcome :)

I'm 22 and I'm getting a quote of about £1000 from Admiral for a UK TT6 but they're quoting me around £3500 for a J-spec Supra.

I'm sure I could get cheaper but that's just for comparison between the UK and J-spec.

Good luck mate :thumbs:

Welcome to the club. :)

Spend some time reading around in the forum, it will be the best way to learn about what you are after and will make you more knowleadge about your purchase. As mentioned insurance will be very very expensive at 19 and a lot of insurance companies will decline due to your age (lack of experience etc).

When you say 1st car, do you mean in the UK, or ever? If it's your very first car, i'd look at something else, as a Supra will be a handful. If that is the case, i'd probably look at MX-5s with a view to getting a Supra a couple of years down the line.

I agree with this, if this is your very first car then it might be best to get something RWD but less powerful at least for the 1st year or 2, just so then you don't kill yourself or others. ;)

Welcome Mike.

My advice would be to consider a Supra as possibly a second car in a couple of years time. If you are dead set on a Supe then an NA would be best advised as 220Bhp should be plenty, especially in wet, icy conditions. These cars are not cheap to run and if it is your only car I would be concerned about costs of fuel and possible faults.

Good luck with your search, this forum is a great place to find out more..!!

H.

Welcome! I'm also on a mission for my first Supra, I'll be 22 by the time I get one and it still seems a bit pricey, but like you I've got that itch :)

This forum is a goldmine for Supra knowledge and from reading around the forum you're going to have to come to terms with the fact it will steal all of your money :D From running it to making it your dream car. A lot of members seem to have second cars which are far more economical, as a daily driver. I'll be keeping my diesel 156 and looking at the Supra as a second car.

I think insurance will be your main obstacle with it being your first ever car, no NCB and your age being quite big factors considering the power of the car you're looking at. I'd have to agree with the other members about driving another car for a couple of years first, as heart breaking as this might be.

Hi, and welcome :)

You face a few obstacles in your quest for a Supra. To start with, insuring a Supra at 19 is going to be difficult, but not impossible. Many places won't even give you a quote, and the ones that do will be very expensive. If you could raise your budget to £7k, you may get a UK spec, which will be much easier to insure than an import.

Unfortunately, if £5k is your maximum budget, a TTs running costs are going to be very hard to cope with. You won't get a manual import TT for less than £7k at the moment, or a uk spec for less than £10K, and the autos are very thirsty. With our fuel prices spiralling, it'll probably cost around £70 to fill your tank, which will disappear at an alarming rate. You could get an NA, but the fuel costs and insurance aren't much better than an import TT, although they are a bit simpler (maybe more reliable) than the TT.

Where do you get that from ? My Uk auto amazes me with how well it does on fuel, if your driving around on a mission then none of the mkivs are great with the na included.

It will also cost a chunk more than £70 to fill a uk spec tank from empty. 80 litres = approx £100

Dont buy a supra on a tight budget but if you can afford to buy and run one properly then go for it, the catch here is running one properly, skimping on oil changes etc will kill the reliability of a mkiv, also treat a tt with a lot of respect as it'll bite you in the ass very quickly.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

If you ever have a single doubt if you can afford this car, don't do it.

With your budget, you are able to get an N/A Manual or a TT Auto. Personally, I suggest neither and you come back after uni when you have money and more experience. But if you had to, an N/A would be the wiser choice.

Remember, the fuel costs in the car are extraordinary and that's the easiest thing to come by. The maintenance of the car will tear you apart.

Hello and Welcome:)

For the money you have you better of going for a nice n/a, maybe with a six-speed gear box rather then a TT. Once you have the money maybe then put in a TT engine?

Plus the insurance will kick you in the ass or like others have said, maybe get it for your second car after university.