The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on this Supra, please.

NOS

Hi all,

I came across this N/A for sale online and before I go to view it I would like your opinions on the price etc. Also, what should I be looking out for specifically if I do decide to view it (i.e. is this model prone to problems etc.)?

[i am told that the car has just had a full engine [b]rebuild[/b].]

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1772263

Looks like a nice car, but is expensive for a 5 speed with questionable paint. You could get a 6 speed NA for similar, and it will hold its value better. I'd be suprised if it's had a full engine rebuild, it just isn't financially viable on an NA, with replacement engines available from £100.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Not a car I would waste my time viewing.

The panels on the exterior look a different colour - this may be just the photos or could be evidence of damage/respray. It does say it's be rebuilt from the shell up - why?

Why has the engine been rebuilt? I'd want to see evidence that it really does have high lift cams, polished head and other work claimed.

Why does it have 'upgraded' injectors, fuel rail and fuel pump - not needed. Has the car been mapped for these changes?

90mm inlet & throttle - looks stock on pics.

Denso ignition timing system - what's this?

Power claims are complete fantasy.

Regarding the full engine rebuild, I asked the vendor why the engine was rebuilt - I asked him did the engine blow, and his response was, "No. I just rebuilt the engine to give it more power. The engine did not need rebuilding but I did it anyway."

Not a car I would waste my time viewing.

The panels on the exterior look a different colour - this may be just the photos or could be evidence of damage/respray. It does say it's be rebuilt from the shell up - why?

Why has the engine been rebuilt? I'd want to see evidence that it really does have high lift cams, polished head and other work claimed.

Why does it have 'upgraded' injectors, fuel rail and fuel pump - not needed. Has the car been mapped for these changes?

90mm inlet & throttle - looks stock on pics.

Denso ignition timing system - what's this?

Power claims are complete fantasy.

His response :)

"the reason it has them is for more fuel to get into the engine for which makes the engine run better and faster and for the bigger throttle body yes it has being remmaped for thememmmm well for one you cant see the throttle in the pics so i dont know where your getting that from...and it those have the 90mm throttle and inlet in it....its a ingtion timing system it tell the coil pack to spark at the perfect time...when your not going ahrd it gives better fuel economy and when you put the boot down it gives you better performance..what evidence do i have i dont have a dyno sheet your man before me didnt have it....he said it was rebuilt from the ground he had receipts but he said hed send them down.... dont have money to put it on dyno hence why its for sale...ders one panel dat is a different color and thats because its a bit faded same with back bumper"

His response :)

"the reason it has them is for more fuel to get into the engine for which makes the engine run better and faster and for the bigger throttle body yes it has being remmaped for thememmmm well for one you cant see the throttle in the pics so i dont know where your getting that from...and it those have the 90mm throttle and inlet in it....its a ingtion timing system it tell the coil pack to spark at the perfect time...when your not going ahrd it gives better fuel economy and when you put the boot down it gives you better performance..what evidence do i have i dont have a dyno sheet your man before me didnt have it....he said it was rebuilt from the ground he had receipts but he said hed send them down.... dont have money to put it on dyno hence why its for sale...ders one panel dat is a different color and thats because its a bit faded same with back bumper"

Woof image

Surely an NA would get boring after your TT BPU.

Depends on the driver I suppose. Me and Mrs H have come to the conclusion that we enjoyed driving the NA more than the TT. I personally found the NA easier to control whilst hooning and although the TT will take your breath away when the second turbo comes in, I hardly ever get chance to use it without getting into speeds that will cost me my licence. I expect we will go back to a tidy NA at some point.

H.

Having a bit of banter with this chap now :)

Me:

So the 350 bhp is a total guess really ? Non turbo's are 225bhp from the

factory, what gave it the extra 125 bhp ?

Him:

Do u mind me asking who you are and what's ur problem, if u hav no interest in the car y r u botering me

Mine:

Eh ? I have no problem with you. Just saw the advert on donedeal, said I'd enquire about the car. It's normal to ask questions about a car your interested in.

Seems like you can't back up the claims and the advert is a misleading one .

Him:

I hav sold over forty cars on this site and never once hav I given misleading information

Me

It is misleading, you are saying the car is running about 350bhp but cant tell me where the extra power is coming from and have no proof it is running that power. The car is supposedly running more than a stock twin turbo Supra , it would take a lot time , money and hassle to get it to that. None of which is in the advert.

To me that is misleading. I'm interested in the car if you can prove its power claims. If you cant it shouldnt be in the advert anyway. Doesn't matter if you've sold 5 or 55 cars on the site. I've worked as a salesman in the busiest Toyota dealership in the country for a couple of years so I know myself salesmen are prone to a few white lies. The advert was put up on the Toyota Supra owners club by someone, the advert was laughed at if I'm honest with you. Do you think a load of Supra enthusiasts are wrong or is it you are being misleading ?

Edited by supramkivcork (see edit history)

My response to him:

His response:

Do u mind me asking who you are and what's ur problem, if u hav no interest in the car y r u botering me

I don't see how you can own a car without knowing anything about it..

Me:

Him:

Mine:

Eh ? I have no problem with you. Just saw the advert on donedeal, said I'd enquire about the car. It's normal to ask questions about a car your interested in.

Seems like you can't back up the claims and the advert is a misleading one .

Him:

I hav sold over forty cars on this site and never once hav I given misleading information

Me

It is misleading, you are saying the car is running about 350bhp but cant tell me where the extra power is coming from and have no proof it is running that power. The car is supposedly running more than a stock twin turbo Supra , it would take a lot time , money and hassle to get it to that. None of which is in the advert.

To me that is misleading. I'm interested in the car if you can prove its power claims. If you cant it shouldnt be in the advert anyway. Doesn't matter if you've sold 5 or 55 cars on the site. I've worked as a salesman in the busiest Toyota dealership in the country for a couple of years so I know myself salesmen are prone to a few white lies. The advert was put up on the Toyota Supra owners club by someone, the advert was laughed at if I'm honest with you. Do you think a load of Supra enthusiasts are wrong or is it you are being misleading ?

Don't hold back now! :D

Think his hoping some kid will read 350bhp and believe it then buy it!

Latest reply :)

"Excuse me for a moment, you say ur a Toyota salesman then you should know a stock supra mk 4 is 210 bhp, I have already told you it has ugraded fuel injectors and throttle bodys, and ports and polished. And ask if I put a super charger on it she could put out up too 500 bhp"

Haha what even the TT model.

Have some fun & ask him if his talking about the JSpec TT & see if he replies with 276bhp which means his most likely looking up on Google! LOL