The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gold Rush - Big Twins

Rob_Mitchell

Well i thought i would start the thread today as i get the rebuilt and balanced engine on tuesday and the work will then start... with pics.

i want to keep along the lines of a show engine so lots of polished and chromed parts, the thing that will seperate mine from the rest is its having a gold plated nut and bolt build with the odd components dipped too... oh and alot of titanium.

i have been gathering parts for a while now, still got a huge list of bits to get but i am in no rush and want to take my time with the build.

i think the gold and chrome theme will work nice and it will be different from some amazing builds i have seen, like johns (hodge), jamie's, lee's and not forgetting wayne's (supradibbs).

Anyway i will keep you all updated and add some pics ect of progress.

I would also like to start by thanking some people for free advise i have had and just there support with the build

paul at whiffbitz

lee at SRD

hodge

jamie p

dude

Keron, for all the parts im going to need

Ryan G at 2bartuning

cheers guys its much appreciated and its not the end of my pm's so i thought i would warn you all :D

Edited by Rob_Mitchell
title change (see edit history)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah sorry guys pics will come soon, was going to start this thread tuesday but im so bored today.

still not sure what turbo kit im going with yet and what im doing with the head but i may keep it with a stock head yet with some uprated cams from srd. might attempt to polish the head and block too if i get a quiet spot at work.

this will be an amazing machine when done Rob :cool:

your the reason i blew the na-t route out mate.

cheers for all the comments guys i know the gold is marmite but i dont think its ever been done on a supra so should be interesting and more importantly its a bit of fun for me.

been speaking to lee at srd who i want some of the work done by and i will also attempt alot of it myself due to us being a garage anyway... but it is new territory for us and will ask alot of questions as i go so beware lol

Bit about the engine

I am going to be using the bottom end from the orange beast which spec is-

JE pistons/rings

new oil pump

new water pump

rod bolts ARP

Chemical cleaned in hot tank

every clearance set to book figures.

Block was honed as well.

All new bearings fitted and platigauged.

done about 8k-10k miles and then it got taken off road so i will need to get things checked over but its a good engine.

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Searched hi and low for a brand new lexan sparkplug cover and was lucky enough to get one from paul at whiffbits, got huge plans for this as its the heart of the engine bay.

also gates racing cam belt will be used and obvioulsy visible :cool:

[ATTACH]124727[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]124726[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]124718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]124717[/ATTACH]

polished greddy manifold

gates racing cam belt

full toyota gasket set

lexan sparkplug cover

gold whiffbits pulley set

gold whiffbits idle pulley

titanium cam cover bolts

titanium sparkplug cover bolts

STILL TO GET

oem water pump

oem oil pump

oem crank pulley

Bit about the engine

I am going to be using the bottom end from the orange beast which spec is-

JE pistons/rings

new oil pump

new water pump

rod bolts ARP

Chemical cleaned in hot tank

every clearance set to book figures.

Block was honed as well.

All new bearings fitted and platigauged.

done about 8k miles and then it got taken off road so i will need to get things checked over but its a good engine.

went for the gold pulley set from whiffbits, looks better in person than the pics.

[ATTACH]124734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]124735[/ATTACH]

This is going to be something special.. and blinding if the sun catches the bay! :D

This is going to be something special.. and blinding if the sun catches the bay! :D

i dont plan on a huge bhp figure like whats being produced at the moment but i do have a aim to see 550bhp. im going to be using stock tt autobox so dont want to push it too much to the max limit.

been looking at the street turbo kit PHR do (same as lui has) and also the BW kits from whiffbitz have been another option i have considered.

I like the idea of keeping things simple and making things tidy ect

Good luck with the build Rob :thumbs: Any pics of these special Adjustable Cam Pulleys you've mentioned? How much did the clear spark plug cover set you back, been thinking about getting one of those myself? Shouldnt this thread be in the "Projects" section as well :p

thanks dan, you have no chance getting one they are discontinued i was very lucky and paul had a brand new one sitting at his place. not going for adjustable cams at the moment mate i have a nice set of stock pulleys im testing out.

Titanium bolts you say. Wonder where those came from ????

Good luck with this Rob. Should be a stunned when it's finished.

ha ha cant believe how much they weigh they are like paper. if mine come any where near the standard of yours ill be a very happy man.

They are stupidly light, I couldn't believe it myself. Suppose that's why there so expensive cos they weigh nowt and are super strong.

Starting to think mines a little untidy under the bonnet now. Been thinking on what else I can pull out but I've hit a bit of blank lol...

They are stupidly light, I couldn't believe it myself. Suppose that's why there so expensive cos they weigh nowt and are super strong.

Starting to think mines a little untidy under the bonnet now. Been thinking on what else I can pull out but I've hit a bit of blank lol...

yeah illl be ordering alot more from pro-bolt later on in the build. no way is yours untidy mate its perfect, the problem is putting your own idea's into things like your power steering location is awesome.

i have a few tricks up my sleeve for some bits.

Better pic of the pulleys i have. Got a few bits coming end of this week so very excited and should look cool fingers crossed.

[ATTACH]124804[/ATTACH]

quick question= Are all weld on breather kits for the cam covers -12 fitments??

You can have any size you want mate but I'd recommend a -10 or preferably -12