The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Swapping Backbox

SupraP-Z

Hi guys, have a slight problem. the supe failed its emissions on MOT, the backbox has a bit of corrosion and a little hole where exhaust gases are escaping from.

The question i am asking is, is it possible to put a temporary (i.e another brand) backbox onto my existing cat-back system just so it passes MOT? and would it cause any problems if i left it on there?

Its a 5-Zigen cat-back exhaust on an NA.

There is another option/question...would the supe pass an MOT with a temporary repair such as exhaust paste and wrapping tape?

Cheers

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

It definately failed on emissions...its like corroded underneath the backbox. When the car is started up from cold, if you look under the car, there is a susbstantial amount of exhaust gases escaping. So it may not just be one hole lol. Obviously best thing to do would be to get a new exhaust (looking into that and raising funds) but for the meantime i just need it to pass its MOT.

I think im going to go with Nics idea...just going to take it to a local fabricator and get it welded or patched up, a temporary but neccessary fix.

Thanks for your help guys

If it failed on emissions then it won't make a difference if the box box is blowing or not. Do you have cats fitted? If not then fitting one or both the cats would help get it through the test. As I mentioned earlier the emissions failure could be due to duff oxygen sensors.

Might be worth asking Graham his view on THIS THREAD.

Sorry nic im an absolute donut. Ive just dug up the old MOT, the supe passed its emissions the reason it failed was:

Rear exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases and rear exhaust has part of the system excessively deteriorated.

Although im pretty sure that the oxygen sensors will need changing sooner or later.

Im just going to take it a to a fabricator who will temporarily be able to sort it out, while i source a new zorst.

Thanks for your help