The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto or manual

Guest jojones

Guest jojones

new to the forum! im looking into buying a mk4 supra and am just looking for a bit of advice,

im unsure on whether to get an auto or manual, i know the mpg is not going to be good from either but is it true that the auto would be alot worse? ive heard that the auto will only do 15mpg!! but the manual 25!! someone please help me i havent got a clue :rolleyes:

Auto and manual fuel consumption will be about the same, usually around 20mpg, up to around 25mpg on the motorway and down to 12mph round town.

I have had an auto and a manual and I have gone back to an auto again, so it is safe to say I like the auto and would not choose a 6sp supra again. Others WILL disagree, but you probably wont know which you prefer until you drive them and have also been driven by somebody who knows how to make the autobox really work properly.

Guest jojones

thanks mate, nice to hear some advice from someone who has actually had both!!

is there anything i should be looking out for (common faults) when buying a supra? it will be a non turbo, cant afford a tt!!

thanks mate, nice to hear some advice from someone who has actually had both!!

is there anything i should be looking out for (common faults) when buying a supra? it will be a non turbo, cant afford a tt!!

Have a look at the FAQ section on the forum, all your questions and more are answered there.

There is a buyers guide you can read through on the main pages.

They are getting old now and alot of rough ones for sale. Drive as many as you can and pick the best as its a buyers market.

If you are heavily concerned about fuel consumption i would look at small turbo diesel cars :D

Start looking at members cars for sale as that will give you more detailed history

What budget you got to play with?

Welcome.

if you meant mpg then that is too rich - around London city mine averages 17mpg (single

imi

But yours doesn't use the turbo until higher RPM, so you're actually using less fuel in the time his first turbo is working on its own. When yours comes online properly (i.e. not driving through town) you'll see the consumption drop below his figure. Before than you're N/A until your snail spools up. You can't really compare the two.

Guest jojones

"Have a look at the FAQ section on the forum, all your questions and more are answered there."

Ok will do, thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it!

But yours doesn't use the turbo until higher RPM, so you're actually using less fuel in the time his first turbo is working on its own. When yours comes online properly (i.e. not driving through town) you'll see the consumption drop below his figure. Before than you're N/A until your snail spools up. You can't really compare the two.

not sure how your point is relevant to city driving (

ahh, a non-turbo auto is a slightly different matter. I have not owned both but have driven both a manual and an auto non-turbo. I felt that the manual certainly gave a faster feel to the car. The auto non-turbo just didnt kick in like a twin turbo does.

Twin turbos are getting quite cheap now. Good condition ones are around £5k or less, where a non-turbo is around £3k.

new to the forum! im looking into buying a mk4 supra and am just looking for a bit of advice,

im unsure on whether to get an auto or manual, i know the mpg is not going to be good from either but is it true that the auto would be alot worse? ive heard that the auto will only do 15mpg!! but the manual 25!! someone please help me i havent got a clue :rolleyes:

Hello and welcome. Where ever those figures came from forget them. Fuel consumption depends how you drive and where you do the miles. When cars are maintained well, the differences between auto and manual are much closer than the figures you have given. The biggest difference you will find between auto and manual N/A cars will be the power loss through the different transmissions. You really need to test drive some cars to get a feel for the boxes and how power is delivered. I have driven Stock TT 6 speeds. Stock TT autos an N/A auto I would not hesitate going back to a stock TT auto as the box is so smooth and driven well with leave a stock TT 6 behind. The N/A auto I drove did not feel slow and had a really smooth power delivery, but it was a mint. As has been mentioned, use search and be very careful as there are more and more poorly maintained cars coming up for sale. Don't rush as prices are unlikely to go up.

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

When are you looking to buy? Any cars you are interested in post details so we can give them a once over for you. When viewing a Supra you are interested in I would see if there is a knowledgeable member near by who can help you or if there is a garage that can give it the once over for you.

Guest jojones

fair play this forum is great! really gratefull for the advice and im just looking forward to owning one now! Terminator i'll take ur advice and wait untill i see a tidy one for sale, last thing i want to do is buy one that hasnt been maintaned as i'll be spending more than its worth on repair bills!

fair play this forum is great! really gratefull for the advice and im just looking forward to owning one now! Terminator i'll take ur advice and wait untill i see a tidy one for sale, last thing i want to do is buy one that hasnt been maintaned as i'll be spending more than its worth on repair bills!

Provided it has been regularly service a 2JZ-GE engine should do many many miles, they are pretty bullet proof.

Generally the Supra - especially the NA which has less to go wrong - have few inherent problems. Saying that with the early 93 cars now coming up for almost 18 years old, parts wear like on any other car with age/use, a 2nd hand Supra may be cheap to buy now, but the price of new parts is probably similar to when the car was brand new. So as you say taking your time to find a good one is well worth it.

Welcome and good luck finding a nice car, take your time as theres plenty of them, ive just looked at the second link you posted and the advert would make me run a mile along with the awful pictures. It also doesnt have a full veilside bodykit on it.

The 1st ad has slightly better pics and a less in your face write up, a noisey shock usually means its on its way out if not already so bare that in mind as o/e are getting on for £150 each

I think you could probably find better than both of the above, you just need to bide your time and do your homework.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest jojones

"ive just looked at the second link you posted and the advert would make me run a mile along with the awful pictures."

cheers, i will avoid that one then lol, i would rather take advice from people who know about these cars! what do you think of the first one?

Oh heres some immortal words of wisdom someone said to me when i was and is the best way to think.... "A supra might have a Toyota badge and a bargain sports car buy but they have the running/repair costs of porsche" if u can take someone with you whos had one to look it over... if theres a knock on the back and they say thats normal with a big spoiler i.e a VS no its flipping not it means the suspension is fekkerd :p

"ive just looked at the second link you posted and the advert would make me run a mile along with the awful pictures."

cheers, i will avoid that one then lol, i would rather take advice from people who know about these cars! what do you think of the first one?

I Agree, I started reading the advert and then came over with a headache! My opinion, stay clear! :thumbs:

I test drove both and perferred the auto, it is amazing around town and no slouch either ;)

Read my thread on my recent trip to France and back on one tank of fuel, not bad for a 3.0L Straight Six Twin Turbo! :D

Also do loads of reading, a lot of things you can learn on this forum.