The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Fuel Cut Defencer / Pump Question

The-Plethora

It seems the HKS FCD is the last part I need for BPU on my jspec.

Bits so far...

Blitz FMIC

Upgraded Fuel Pump

HKS Boost Controller

Double Decat aftermarket exhaust 1 Bar RR

Upgraded Spark Plugs

Boost Guage

I have a couple of concerns though, when I got the car the owner said it had an upgraded fuel pump but no details on what make and model (I would assume walbro), is this something that would be a huge pain in the arse to check on and with a chance of me getting incinerated? I am fairly sure all is well but never hurts to make sure all is in place.

With the fuel cut defencers they seem to vary wildly in price from £69 new on ebay to over £120 for what seems the same model. Are there some dodgy copies out there that must be avoided or am I ok whatever?

For a novice is it a tricky thing to fit? does it come with decent instructions etc? At the moment I am just running at 0.7bar and the boost guage seems to hit around 1bar on that setting so I presume I will just have to take it slow as I increase boost levels, I plan to have a low of 0.7bar and a high setting of 1.2 (shown on the guage).

Cheers for any advice!

I plan to have a low of 0.7bar and a high setting of 1.2 (shown on the guage).

0.7bar is lower than the 0.8bar stock boost pressure, it would require a very restrictive restrictor ring to keep the pressure that low. If you then use a boost controller to increase the boost to 1.2bar the restrictor ring will cause excessively high exhaust temps.

I would set low boost using the restrictor ring at 1bar and then use the boost controller to up the boost to 1.2bar when needed.

0.7bar is lower than the 0.8bar stock boost pressure, it would require a very restrictive restrictor ring to keep the pressure that low. If you then use a boost controller to increase the boost to 1.2bar the restrictor ring will cause excessively high exhaust temps.

I would set low boost using the restrictor ring at 1bar and then use the boost controller to up the boost to 1.2bar when needed.

Hi Nic..

Do you think running around 0.85bar with a restrictor ring and then using the EBC to go up to around 1.1bar is advisable with regards to EGT? Also what size downpipe and exhaust is recommended to achieve this setup?

Thanks.

Hi Nic..

Do you think running around 0.85bar with a restrictor ring and then using the EBC to go up to around 1.1bar is advisable with regards to EGT? Also what size downpipe and exhaust is recommended to achieve this setup?

Thanks.

It may be okay but difficult to say for sure without trying it. If you do, then I would definitely have an EGT gauge fitted with the sensor pre-turbo so you can monitor the temps.

1st and 2nd decat pipes are usually available in either 2.5" or 3", with both you would need a restrictor ring to keep the boost down.

I'd choose the exhaust on how Loud/Quiet you want it. A quieter exhaust with an additional silencer on the mid pipe (eg. Blitz NUR RX) would be a little more restrictive, which would mean the restrictor ring wouldn't need to be quite so restrictive.

It may be okay but difficult to say for sure without trying it. If you do, then I would definitely have an EGT gauge fitted with the sensor pre-turbo so you can monitor the temps.

1st and 2nd decat pipes are usually available in either 2.5" or 3", with both you would need a restrictor ring to keep the boost down.

I'd choose the exhaust on how Loud/Quiet you want it. A quieter exhaust with an additional silencer on the mid pipe (eg. Blitz NUR RX) would be a little more restrictive, which would mean the restrictor ring wouldn't need to be quite so restrictive.

Thanks Nic..

I think I will try a 2.5inch double decat with a 2inch restrictor. I think two silencers is a good idea, I dont want the car to be too loud.

Do you think 3inch or 3.5inch cat back would be a better bet to hold around 0.85bar? Maybe 3.5inch is better and then play with the restrictor ring?

Thanks Nic..

I think I will try a 2.5inch double decat with a 2inch restrictor. I think two silencers is a good idea, I dont want the car to be too loud.

Do you think 3inch or 3.5inch cat back would be a better bet to hold around 0.85bar? Maybe 3.5inch is better and then play with the restrictor ring?

The Blitz NUR RX for example uses 80mm/3.15" diameter piping, which would be more than adequate.

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/variantimages/hires/68100.jpg