The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can someone come take a look? Swindon

Chris_k

Hi guys,

Just went to start my car this morning and there was an awful squeel, bang. Oil light came on so i shut the car off straight away.

Pouring out smoke from the bonnet, smelling awful.

Had a quick look and i think that the cambelt has snapped which is really annoying as i was planing on changing it in the new year.

Is there anyone local to me that could take a quick look at the car and confirm the problem, there is defently a belt problem and a pully has come off.

Just so pissed off right now.

If someone is abvailible could they give me a quick call or text on 07815029749 or post back on here would be extremely grateful.

Cheers

your crank pulley has come off, quite a common problem on the supe. The problem lies with what it smashes into while still spinning at 1000rpm. It's right in front of the oil pump, so it may have damaged that.

If I was closer, I'd come round and look to say exactly whats gone, but I'm a bit of a trek away. I'm sure someone more local to you will be able to help.

BTW, replacing the crank pulley is not the end of the world. Your car will be fine.

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

your crank pulley has come off, quite a common problem on the supe. The problem lies with what it smashes into while still spinning at 1000rpm. It's right in front of the oil pump, so it may have damaged that.

If I was closer, I'd come round and look to say exactly whats gone, but I'm a bit of a trek away. I'm sure someone more local to you will be able to help.

BTW, replacing the crank pulley is not the end of the world. Your car will be fine.

Saved me posting. I concur.

Further to the above if you can get hold of a allen key and remove the green spark plug cover then that will uncover the cam pulleys and expose the top of the cam belt.........so you can check if that is still intact (its normally fine).

The aux belt at the front is the one that will probably be toast and that may be responsible for the bad smell............

if the crank pulley gets damaged wont it upset the timing belt somehow?

The crank pulley only drives the serpentine belt. The cam belt is driven from a toothed drive behind the pulley, belt hidden behind covers. It is always pot luck when the crank pulley goes, sounds like the OP has had one of the worst outcomes. With older cars where the rubber damper in the pulley will have age hardened, it is certainly worth doing the Tippex test on a regular basis.

Do these things go at a certain mileage or age or is it just your luck? What is the best way of checking that all is ok?

I think the crank pulley is an item that Toyota recommends is changed at a particular interval, although I don't know what that interval is. You can test it by using the Tippex test (search on here for details).