The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone available for a TT inspection?

The Road Warrior

Hi all,

Viewed a TT manual on Sat, v.keen on buying it but it is overdue for a service etc and has no service history with 60k miles on the clock. Was imported 5 yrs ago & has had 2 uk owners. Was thinking about an RAC or AA inspection but would gladly pay good cash to any clued up mechanic on this bbs who's familiar with mkiv TT's. The car is in the South East, is anyone available for this in the next week?

Thanks

Be cautious if it has little or no service history, the turbo's in particular rely on regular quality oil changes for a long and healthy life. If it's missed a lot of sevices you could be buying yourself a lot of heartache in the future, not to mention expence.

Don't wish to put a downer on a possible purchase, but be cautious, buy with your head, not your heart.

Very wise to try and get someone to have a look for you, sorry I can't help in that area, good luck, let us know how it goes.

Hi Road Warrior

Mate I'd be very suspicious about a car that's been in the UK for the last 5 years but alledgedly only has 60,000 miles and no history. I'm presuming from your description that it's very cheap, right? It would need to be in the £6k or less region to even make it worth looking at IMO.

There's a lot of Supras out there mate, don't rush into something that could well turn into a moneypit. (Well, Supras are all money pits but you know what I mean)

You're doing the right thing trying to get somebody who knows these cars to inspect it for you, shame it's in Folkestone though, bit of trek for most of us.

Good luck mate

Fairplay. Was going to shell out the £310 for the RAC but don't think it's worth it. The car isn't dirt cheap - going for £10.5k which is slightly cheaper than market rates I suppose. Although it will come with a 6 month warranty which will cover everything except wear & tear apparently. Is this some consolation?

Gearbox seemed spot on, car drove in a straight line, no major rattles. Only worrying observation was that the turbos were coming in a bit late, 1st @3000 & 2nd@4500-5000. The car is completely standard & performance was ok but not phenomenal. Problem is the last TT manual I drove was mod'd to 400bhp, straight thru exhaust and quite a few engine mods so this one will feel slower in comparison.

The car is on autotrader at 10495 if any1 wants a look. Cheers.

not sure what your budget is but a potential ok VFM car IMO might be the 'Purple' (probably Royal Sapphire Blue) 97 facelift manual at £13,995 at Bristol Import car centre.

I say 'might' as i'd like to see it have the 17" alloys and bigger brakes and possibly even the standard skirts to make it good rather than just ok VFM at that price.........

My budget is around 10k. The Jap garage in Folkstone is called futurautos. They had skylines, 350z's & a few very nice single turbo supras as well. Has anyone had any dealings with them? I've been looking for a black manual TT for a while, standard ones seem to be v.rare. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places? :conf:

I understand the wanting a manual side of things, but wanting specifically a black one, will make your choice more difficult just through a lack of availability.

The prices are a good couple of grand on average above an equivalent auto, so you are on the bottom rung for manuals as far as dealers are concerned, but may find a good private buy at some point.....

hasn't Paul Whiffin also got a black manual for around £10K? could be worth a look...........

Yeah I did enquire about the one that Paul had but it was sold a couple of weeks ago. Was going for £10.5k with 65k miles, looked like a v.nice car.

Any advice on warranties? Any small print I should be aware of? I've heard that most of them are a sham but surely they should cover things like turbo's or will they fall under wear & tear?

My view is that a stock car engine wise is very tough, and will cope with the odd bit of extended service interval, use of plain unleaded and other things that are generally to be avoided....

IMO nearly all major mechanicals on here are as a consequence of mods in one way or another, so that just leaves the odd thing like a cracked radiator or similar which would definitely come under wear and tear and not be a warranty claimable repair.

its a personal thing but i don't rate warranty's, the vast majority are never even claimed on with sup's and anything major will either not be covered or will still cost you as the fixed labour rates in the warranty terms is often low and you are left to make up the difference.....

Again its a personal thing but i've brought 3 out of 4 of mine privately and would do so again, and i'm no mechanic by any means.....

I know a garage in East Grinstead where I used to get my n/a serviced. They're happy to do an inspection but I'll have to talk the import garage into taking the car there. Not holding out much hope but it's worth a shot. Will make it clear that I won't buy without an inspection.

If not the mechanic maybe available next w/end to go down to Folkstone & check it out.

So super unleaded is the way to go with TT's? Why would plain unleaded be ill advised?

Originally posted by The Road Warrior

So super unleaded is the way to go with TT's? Why would plain unleaded be ill advised?

on here you will find that not using super (or even specifically Shell optimax) unleaded is frowned upon for import TT's due to the fact that japanese fuel is a higher octane and that is what they are set up to run on.

I do think that away from this board alot of tt owners will be running normal unleaded, another reason to seek out a stock car as it is more likely to be less effected by this (not sure exactly what the bad effects are if you're avoiding det? other than slight power loss)

I bought my car from Futurautos back in March, They seem to be very honest and good guys to deal with. I managed to get a bit knocked off the price of mine and a toad alarm fitted. As a check at the end I mentioned a price more than we had agreed on but the guy corrected me to the lower price. which was nice to see.

I wouldn't have any worries about getting another car from them.

As with any car from any dealer its important to go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is in order

It is certainly worth having someone with you who knows what to look for. I didn't but (touch wood) the car I got so far has caused no trouble at all and I have done around 7000 miles since then in it .... I really must stop going the long way around everywhere :innocent: