The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Plans

Samurai 20V

So almost buying that Supra the other day, got me thinking about the

setup that I want to run (when I finally buy the car)... I reckon

getting an idea of what I want to do in advance is a good idea..

My plan is to go BPU, but taking into account the final destination of

the car is South Africa, maybe not so easy. The car will be the JSpec,

so ceramic turbos will be the order of the day, after reading on this

forum, I have some questions so I hope someone

can answer...Apologies if it is repeat in any way, I want to make sure I

am on the right track.

So as I have mentioned before, SA has 95 octane fuel only. Race fuel (98

octane) is hard to come by and very expensive. There is some supply of

Sunoco fuels (104 octane plus) but I am not sure how long this will last

and also double the cost of race fuel..

So my plan is to choose the exhaust with a natural boost of around

0.85bar running on 95octane plus water methanol injection for everyday

use. Thereafter, boost controller to bring the boost up to around

1.0bar, 1.1bar maximum for race days using either 98 octane and water

meth or Sunoco without watermeth.

So after reading the various posts on the forum, this is what I think

for the exhaust setup.

Downpipe - 2.5inch double decat with a 2 inch restrictor... Would that

be okay for around 0.85bar natural boost? I know the restrictor is a bit

of trial and error, I just want to confirm if this would be a good

starting point.

I am not sure what brands would offer this size in Japan, I think the

HKS or Apexi would be the way to go, but I need to confirm. If anybody

has any ideas, appreciate a comment. Worst case I will order from Garage

Whiftzbiz and ship to Japan, seeing as they have received good reviews

on this forum.

Exhaust - Diameter choice, I am not sure what would be best for 0.85

natural boost, I would think 4inch is too big, maybe 3.5inch is a better

bet? Or should I stick to 2.5inch all thru. Brand wise, there is alot of

stuff available at good prices in Japan, I was thinking Apexi N1 or HKS

Hi Power.

The other question I have is about the Fuel pump upgrade. Is there a Denso equivalent of the Walbro 255lph? I imagine the Walbro or Bosch wont be easy to find in Japan, but a Denso may be..

I hope you guys can help!

I am certain that Jamie P' has mentioned in post's before that when he was BPU many moons ago he ran 95 Octane pump fuel with out any issues..!

I am certain that you will be able to find all your parts in Japan dude..! Ask Nic he will guide you in the right direction...!

If you had the ecu cams injectors etc from a uk you could run 95 all day (I do) but it's not cheep might need the turbos and other bits 2? Or get a standalone. But with the car being in sa you might get mapping issues. I recon it would be fine on bpu just down on power a little 10-15hp maybe. Problem is nobody knows lol. Until someone comes along that is.

Depends on the quality of Fuel. I have a customers engine block with severe Damage on 3 pistons, was running at 1.2 bar and he filled with normal unleaded instead of super. I have heard stock Jspec's pink there balls off under load with normal unleaded, so would never recommend running anything less than super in a BPU.

Yes the stock ECU does retard timing when it detects knock but its usually not the onset of knock so its usually a little to late if your giving it the beans in a modified car

If you can get hold off Ethonal you can do a blend, 20% Eth and 80% unleaded which will yeild same octane as Super unleaded.

If you had the ecu cams injectors etc from a uk you could run 95 all day (I do) but it's not cheep might need the turbos and other bits 2? Or get a standalone. But with the car being in sa you might get mapping issues. I recon it would be fine on bpu just down on power a little 10-15hp maybe. Problem is nobody knows lol. Until someone comes along that is.

Mapping in SA is a definite no no, only 1 tuner has ability but his prices are crazy..

@Brazil, thanks will PM them both..

Depends on the quality of Fuel. I have a customers engine block with severe Damage on 3 pistons, was running at 1.2 bar and he filled with normal unleaded instead of super. I have heard stock Jspec's pink there balls off under load with normal unleaded, so would never recommend running anything less than super in a BPU.

Yes the stock ECU does retard timing when it detects knock but its usually not the onset of knock so its usually a little to late if your giving it the beans in a modified car

If you can get hold off Ethonal you can do a blend, 20% Eth and 80% unleaded which will yeild same octane as Super unleaded.

I can get toluene freely in SA, I had a chemist calculate that 95 octane with 30% toluene makes around 99 octane. But I am not sure if that is safe for the motor?

1. Does anyone not know if 95 plus water meth injection will suffice for BPU at around 0.85 bar boost?

2. Assuming I can run decent enuf octane, is my proposed exhaust setup in my first post okay for 0.85bar boost?

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

I am certain that Jamie P' has mentioned in post's before that when he was BPU many moons ago he ran 95 Octane pump fuel with out any issues..!

I am certain that you will be able to find all your parts in Japan dude..! Ask Nic he will guide you in the right direction...!

Ive never owned a bpu supra.

When you say plug and play, is it just the hanger bracket that needs to be changed over to the UK spec along with the pump? No wiring changes?

I can't answer that question, :search: but there will be someone on here who knows.

I have the complete U.K. set ready to 'plug & play' into my N/A as part of my Supracharger conversion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124527&d=1293551450

js800_fuel_pump_001.jpg