The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I love Toyota's

DodgyRog

My Supe has been buried in snow for the past week on the road and the Corrolla T-Sport we dug out of the drive yesterday

and due to not being home in daylight and it being on the road, the Supe has not been started all week, so thought I should try starting it today.

It's still very well covered in snow, but the first turn of the starter and she fired up.

There can't be many 15 year old cars out there that could be left stood with alarm on and fire up so easily after a week

Got to love the old girl sometimes:D

Not that I am going to be driving it anywhere

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

That is some serious snow coverage..!!

Mine has not left the drive for nearly a month now and I would love to take her out but the salted roads will eat my chromies..!! The car is now on trickle charge so I am not overly worried about the battery just the tyres and the turbos mainly..!!

H.

Mine has not left the drive for nearly a month now and I would love to take her out but the salted roads will eat my chromies..!! The car is now on trickle charge so I am not overly worried about the battery just the tyres and the turbos mainly..!!

H.

So what will happen to the tyres and the turbo's if the car isn't driven regularly?

H.

Don't forget the handbrake !!! As it will seize on.

I'm not using mine at the mo so once a week I'll start it up, roll it out of the gargae and leave it running for 20-30 mins with the heaters on full and with the air con on, then put it back in.

I need to start doing the same. Will starting it and running it on idle every couple of weeks do any damage to the engine? What will happen to the turbo seals if they are not lubricated regularly? I am assuming they are like a mechanical seal on a pump and need to be oiled or they wear more quickly once they are brought into action?

H.

I need to start doing the same. Will starting it and running it on idle every couple of weeks do any damage to the engine? What will happen to the turbo seals if they are not lubricated regularly? I am assuming they are like a mechanical seal on a pump and need to be oiled or they wear more quickly once they are brought into action?

H.

The quicker the oil gets to the operating temp the better, leaving a car to tick over and for the oil (not water) to get fully upto temp will take ages and more wear will happen than just getting in and driving it normally.

I have never bothered going out to a car to run it for the sake of it, unless damp is the worry but if it was bad i put a small dehumidifier in on an extension lead.

The Corona will be 43 on the 1/1/2011 so if the locks are not still frozen i will see if she starts after a few months of sitting there. :D