The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra virgin needs advice!!

keng1013

after 4 long yrs of pondering, have finally put down a deposit of a sz guys!!! (shiver) Wanted to check a few things out 1st.

Got price of the car down to 6800 only (from 6995) for 1 96 J-spec (fresh import). Apparently this J-spec had no facotry fitted alarm(is this a dodgy fact or not?).

Agreed to £7500 in the end including new 18" alloys (MB italia?), new cat1 alarm + immobiliser and underseal. Was in good condition. Did most was what you guys suggested as per FAQ. additional questions:

(i) dealer did not change odometer - (not legal requirement according to FAQ), no actual documentation of mileage on V5, HPI or SVA. Had ~90k on the actual odometer (which dealer says is in km) and on the MOT form (which did not include miles or km) - how to verify this???

(ii) the guy showed me HPI direct on website and printed copy. Info only includes - registration, colour, egine size, fuel yr of manufacture, wheel plan, "YES" to DVLA import marker and "NO" to scrap marker. no VIN or mileage info. Do I need to do an independent HPI or carfax check myself?

(iii) had copy of japanese auction sheet appraently. but all in japanese (duh! should I get this translated?!? if not, what ot look out for?

(iv) I have the cert number on the SVA cert - should I independently verify this as well?

sorry abt all the questions. any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

:conf: :blink: :moo:

Originally posted by keng1013

(i) dealer did not change odometer - (not legal requirement according to FAQ), no actual documentation of mileage on V5, HPI or SVA. Had ~90k on the actual odometer (which dealer says is in km) and on the MOT form (which did not include miles or km) - how to verify this???

You can't really mate.
(ii) Do I need to do an independent HPI or carfax check myself?
I wouldn't bother on a newly imported car, they aren't going to have any info on it are they.
(iii) had copy of japanese auction sheet appraently. but all in japanese (duh! should I get this translated?!? if not, what ot look out for?
Good luck trying to get Japanese translated! What to look out for? Take a look at What to look for when buying a Supra in our FAQ section.
(iv) I have the cert number on the SVA cert - should I independently verify this as well?
Cert Number? What's that? How might you verify it?
sorry abt all the questions. any advice would be very welcome.
The only advice I would give you mate is to whether you really want an N/A. Can I ask why you aren't buying a TT? If you just want a Supra for the looks then that's fair enough but if you're thinking "230bhp will be enough me" you're probably (almost certainly) wrong. You know that an N/A is just as expensive to insure as a TT, right?

For the money you're paying you could have a TT. Also, N/As are very hard to sell, something to bare in mind for when you get bored of the N/A's power and start wanting a TT.

Anyway, welcome to the mkivsupra. net bbs mate.

Got any pics of this motor you're buying?

Thanks for the advice! And the welcome. :D

I know I know. Been struggling with this idea for a while now. Looks - I definatekly like. As for power..... wanted to begin with a simple supra, see if I like owning one, and once I get my big promotion - to get a nice new-ish TT. Thats the plan - have my eye on the VVTi, but waiting for price to become a little more reasonable.

Plus never had anything quite as powerful. fooled around with MX-5's, MGF etc So this will be my 1st 'powerful'car as it were.

oh yeah - here's a pic as well.

KP:looney:

pc250028.jpg

thanks for the kind comments! Glad u like!!! I like lots!! Whee!!!:p

really like the gun metal look as well.

dealer says auction sheet no available as ' he bought the car from a dealer in japan who had already got the car off auction'

he has provided what he calls a 'summary service sheet'

does all this sound dodgy to you guys?

arranged for personal mechanic to come down with me to inspect the car.

Oh, is there an equivalent HPI/car fax service in japan that I cant check with?:flame Dev

Originally posted by keng1013

dealer says auction sheet no available as ' he bought the car from a dealer in japan who had already got the car off auction'

he has provided what he calls a 'summary service sheet'

does all this sound dodgy to you guys?

arranged for personal mechanic to come down with me to inspect the car.

dodgy? maybe (if it had a good auction grade i'm sure he would have it!) but only possibly covering a poor auction rating, maybe a previously damage car? not necessarily anything to worry about but obvious things to look for are

1) overspray into the engine bay (any paintwork revealed only when the bonnet is open, should be 'Matt' and not gloss/metallic)

2) Panel gaps

3) Possible inner wing welding seams

4) overly new / non faded plastic jap lights could indicate they are not originals.....probably more stuff, i'm no expert..........

oh and look inside the drivers door by the car latch, there should be a sticker with Jap symbols but also the mileage in KM's and the date of auction (will be in a different format to our day/month/year, need to look on google etc to find somewhere that will let you work it out) there can be service stickers in the area in front of the rad with similar mileage and dates figures that may help............

BTW i think too that you should seriously consider a TT, its not out of your price range, insurance will be the same (maybe less) its only the a little more to run........