The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra in feb...

Stowell

im hoping to get my 1st supra in feb..ive checked over insurance and unless it changes drasticlly i should ok with that, ive worked out roughly how many miles a week i do...and used 20mpg as my target and i could afford fuel...its just the car...i wanted to know really how much tt manual's go for...i could get about 5-6k for one but much more than thats a bit unrealistic for me...anyone give me a pointer?

thanks

Thats good TT auto money really, It is possible to find a TT6 for that sort of money if wait long enough though, they do come up from time to time.

One thing, if you are worried about affording your weekly fuel bill how are you going to repair it when it goes wrong?

You're basing your decision on the auto from your experience with an Astra :blink:........tell you what, go and drive the TT auto, if you come back dissapointed, then you need to save more.

The auto box in the supra is perfectly suited to the car, it's fast, with perfect ratios to throw your head back in the seat at well into illegal speeds. I've owned both, and would say the auto is better value all day long. The TT6 is more money purely because of it's rarity.

The main appeal of the 6 speed is how ridiculously strong the box is, so modding for mega HP is available. Though judging by your comment of worring about MPG, I'm guessing modding is not on the cards.

Welcome, Don't dismiss the auto box, it's better than any euro box auto rubbish out there. I would use the old search button for the TT conversion question, it's a very well covered subject! As Jamie says, I would take into account the cost of repairs on a supra, it isn't a golf, when things go wrong it could cost you quite a bit.

Good luck with the search

Do not dismiss the auto without at least driving one. It truly is an excellent drive. Having owned both in TT form I would now choose an auto over a manual in most cases. It has such a smooth yet ferocious power delivery that it never fails to make me grin.

However, if you have had to work out your running costs down to as fine a point as how much you will be able to spend on fuel each week, then in my opinion you might be better off holding out until you can comfortably afford to run one properly. They really are not an economical car to have on the road, and as soon as you start 'modifying' then thats when it will really put a strain on your pocket.

If serviced PROPERLY you will have no major headaches with it, but even a standard service can run above '' normal '' prices. My advice if you do decide to go ahead with one, is always pick quality and maintenance over the toys! happy shopping :)

To be perfectly honest with you, finding a TT6 speed for 6k is going to be near on impossible, i'm not saying its never happened, its just very very rare. Also, if its up for 6k, then its up for that price for a reason. Normal prices for a good TT6 ranges from 8k-10k on average depending on milage and mod levels. Your really only left with 2 choices, an TT Auto (for 6k you can get a nice one) or a 5 Speed NA. I'd say go for the 5 speed first and use the time you own to get used to Supra's and learn as much as you can, then step up and get a TT6 once you can afford it. If you have your heart set on a TT then the Auto box really is fantastic on them, i used to drive one and it was brilliant. Something to think about......

Thats good TT auto money really, It is possible to find a TT6 for that sort of money if wait long enough though, they do come up from time to time.

One thing, if you are worried about affording your weekly fuel bill how are you going to repair it when it goes wrong?

Jamie has hit the nail on the head right there. Think someone stated on here recently in response to a similar question - "Dont under estimate the cost of running a Supra. If you can just about afford to buy one then you probably wont be able to afford to run one"

The Supra is a joy to have/drive but it isnt for the lightweight. (In the pocket department!) :thumbs:

Jamie has hit the nail on the head right there. Think someone stated on here recently in response to a similar question - "Dont under estimate the cost of running a Supra. If you can just about afford to buy one then you probably wont be able to afford to run one"

The Supra is a joy to have/drive but it isnt for the lightweight. (In the pocket department!) :thumbs:

That would be me... :D

TBH from reading the thread you may be better off with a N/A manual. Still quick and better on fuel, plus alot less to go wrong and can be picked up for sub £3k now.

:yeahthat:

By the sounds of it, I'd not bother with a TT, nothing worse than seeing one neglected as the owner can't afford repairs