The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra snow - 1wheel spinning even though other on pavement??

gazzi123

Hi guys,

i no this may seem a stupid question - but since the snow fall i cant understand what the supra is doing?

Pulling out my drive 1 rear wheel is clearly on the tarmac road surface (no/little snow on ground) other rear wheel is on snow/ice.

The wheel on snow/ice is spinning like crazy whilst the other wheel on perfectly solid tarmac with loads of grip is doing nothing at all? - im very confused?

even in my astra before my supra - the wheel with grip normally spun - not the other wayt round??[OOPS][/OOPS]

you have lsd mate :)

Really? I thought if you had a LSD it would put the power to the wheel with the grip?? Hence why you get nice burning 11's if you floor it off the line. An open diff would create the problem he is seeing, and would also give you a nice 1 flooring it off the line.

Just found definition on wikipedia:

The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some traction available on at least one of the wheels.

Hey gazzi123 it's normal for this to happen! think of it like electricity, the power will always go for the route of least resistance its the same with cars without a lsd (limited slip diff) the power will take the easy route! if your astra did this then its unusual but with a front drive car the gearbox is on the side of the engine ( trans axle i think its called) this set up also throws in that power will tend to go to the shortest drive shaft. the solution is to go for an lsd. then the more power/torque you put through the diff to one wheel the more the diff will grab and force the other to take up the effort!! simples! ;)

I was cackin myself i thought there was summit wrong with my supra....ah well - Still baffles me how it was designed like this , for the wheel with grip to stay still and wheel without grip moves....would be better otherway around - ah well joys of the snow

I'm fairly certain you don't have an LSD... and that is the issue. N/As generally don't have LSDs, I think it was an optional extra. If you had an LSD it would give grip on both wheels :D

It depends on the amount of drive shaft torque is applied, if you have a nice dry road and put the boot in, both wheels will spin up, which is why you can drift well on an LSD, but if there is little grip on one wheel that will spin up because there is little torque being applied, so there is much less lock up force within the diff.

It depends on the amount of drive shaft torque is applied, if you have a nice dry road and put the boot in, both wheels will spin up, which is why you can drift well on an LSD, but if there is little grip on one wheel that will spin up because there is little torque being applied, so there is much less lock up force within the diff.

:yeahthat:

It doesn't matter if you've got an open diff or a stock LSD. Both will result in one wheel spinning in snow as it is a torque sensing diff (Tor-sen). The diff doesn't lock unless under load (which it wouldn't be in snow/ice)

If you had a TRD clutch type LSD diff fitted then it would be a different ball game :)

Edited by Dr_Doom (see edit history)

CanisLpus has the right idea, try pulling the handbrake on a few notches, this will add a torque loading to the spinning wheel and your open (none LSD) diff will transfer some torque. My tractor allows me to independently brake each back wheel as it's a base model without a driver operated fully lockable diff. Whilst not as good as a locked diff it helps a LOT if traction is bad. You can tell Canis is used to driving on snow :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)