The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member with interesting Supra issue woo!

Guest TXSupra

Guest TXSupra

Names Aaron, 22 yrs old, White 1993 N/A Supra, about 150k miles.

Got the car back in 2006 ran perfectly, i loved it to death. AND THEN, someone pulled out in front of me while i was doing about 45mph-ish... collision, not my fault. $7,500 worth of damage (mainly airbags). All this happened Friday October 13th, 2006 (my luck ha..) Anyways, got the car out the body shop after about 2 or so weeks.. and it was running extremely slow, i was getting beaten by 18-wheelers on acceleration. Fiddled with the Plugs...it worked fine again. Sometime mid-2007, the tachometer went crazy (bouncing between 3k-6k RPM, and ran like crap...exhaust was hot, but not red hot)

Anyways it bounced around mechanic to mechanic (bad idea, but being in a small town.. no one knows how to work on Supra's, if they even know what it is) Toyota couldn't help me, they had no idea what the hell it was doing.. So this year..we got it running (changed the fuel pump and the ECM, go figure..) and it starts .. now it misfires. Current symptoms are.. cold start (takes a while to get turned over, and won't hold idle til its a little warm) It's very hesitant, seems to be cutting out (too much or too less fuel) and it will not go past 4,100rpm. It seems to have some weird rev limiter.

Ideas include: Fuel Injectors, Fuel Filter. Toyota doesn't have the machine to do a diagnostic.. so doing that is out of the question.

That's the story of my Supra.. i want to get the car fixed cuz it's been inoperable for 4 years now. I want to get the 2JZ-GTE also.

The rev counter runs from a sensor in the distributor, if this has been damaged in the shunt, not only will the rev counter be upset, so will the ECU.

Try swopping the distributor and/or inspect the connecting clip and wires to check this before spending any more money.

P.S. Welcome to the club. :thumbs:

Edited by David P (see edit history)