The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello supra owners

Guest analog

Hi everyone,

My name is Jon and I live in Virginia in the States,

I own a white LHD '95 non-turbo, with a manual 5 speed trans (pictures to come)180k mile or (289k kil I think?) on it. I've had it for about 3 years now and love it.

It's slightly modified with front and rear tower bars, radiator cooling plate, cold air intake, short shifter, and 97-98 headlights.

any advice for going N/A T?

Going by most peoples comments on here it is generally less hassle to go from N/A to TT. Much better to have the coilpack ignition etc and more control over the engine in general.

You will get the same amount of power from a BPU TT than you will from most modist N/A-T installs for a lot less money.

Not sure if the costs etc are the same in the US though, as the off the shelf parts in the US tend to be quite cheap :)

True, I always liked how the TT has coil packs, no distributor in the way.

I might go either way, I haven't priced a swap yet, but it looks like $7000 for the turbo kit, extra parts, and services.

I'm pretty sure that engine upgrading and tuning is the same as the in the UK.

I'll try a price it this weekend at some local shops, I would love to do everything my self but i don't the time garage, or tools to do it.

Would I have to swap transmissions and ECU if I did?

If sticking with BPU you should be fine with the 5spd box, the ECU is a definite though due to the ignition. If you want to push for more power you will definitely need to upgrade to a 6spd.

It's going to be the same if you want to push the power on the N/A-T though.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/supraman_photos/?action=view&current=SDC11635.jpghttp://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/supraman_photos/?action=view&current=SDC11634.jpg

I just got a price quote from a local import tuning shop, they said $7000US from start to finish for a full TT swap. (JDM spec)engine, trans, wiring harness, ecu, and drive shaft.

Conveniently it is the same price they offered me for doing a single turbo kit.

I've got one more shop that I asked about a price, they should get back to me within 4 days.

Thanks for all your info, I'll be doing the TT swap.

That seems a little pricey but it is good that it's a drive in drive out switch.

When you say trans, are you getting a TT auto box or a 6spd? If it's the latter then it's a bargain :D

I think as they are both going to be similar cash, that you are making the right decision. You won't be dealing with any unknowns that way, and you have the reliability of a TT to boot :)

• 1 month later...