The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rear caliper trouble

supra steveo

think the rear two calipers have siezed :( my rears alloys are covered in what looks like loads of brake dust even tho i washed the car sat night, there also seems to be a fair amount of heat coming from them too, is there any thing i need to do to the calipers last time i changed the pads i used a clamp to push the piston back into the caliper and it did so easily , i always copper grease the slider bars up to so now feel kinda lost as to what to do , i will be upgrading to a set of UK brakes in the new year but i need to sort the car for over the xmas period , i am going to put new pads on tomorrow but is there anything else i need to do while doing a pads change ???? :search:

I'd be inclined to check there not sticking on the sliders first and if their fine then pop the pads out and see if the piston goes back all the way easily, check round the outer seals for holes or splits, if you pop the pistons out you'll need to bleed the brakes up, removing light corrosion from above the seal line from the pistons i find is best done with wd40 and 1200 wet and dry paper.

If the pistons are heavily corroded or have any pitting then they need replacing along with the seals

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The outer seals that keep the dirt and moisture out of the piston bore are held in place with a

wire ring, (spring steel) their very easy to change.

Use a flat blade screwdriver to ease the old one off and use your fingers to fit the new ring

so you dont damage the new seal.

These go on after you've slid the piston back into the new inner seal, the seal kit should come

with some fitting lube (grease) which you smear sparingly on the seal and piston.

The inner seal that the piston slides in and keeps the brake fluid in place is also very easy to

change. They sit in an undercut groove inside the piston bore, you can use a small

flat blade screwdriver to ease them out or a pik as their called, like what the dentist uses on

your teeth lol

Replace with just your fingers and make sure everything is spotlessly clean.

Pics below of the outer seals and wire rings on the rebuilt calipers arrowed in red and

the undercuts arrowed in yellow on the calipers whilst they were split, ignore the red arrows

on the 1st pic lol, these are uk spec calipers but the process is still the same for replacing the seals

calipers 006.jpg

calipers009 (6).jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Never used hammerite, its quick and easy to do and if your really lazy you don't even need to remove them from the car.

When i refurb something like the brakes i prefer to go the whole hog and take them off the car so i can have a proper good look at them, strip them and then re build so their as good as new.

You could still use hammerite rather than powder coat but i personally think the p/c looks better ?