The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Few pointers guys?

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Hey guys.

I'm new to the forum and don't actually own a mkiv myself. :(

However, been crazy about them and can't wait to get one! Hopefully next Christmas time I'll have about 10k to drop on one! :D

At the moment I drive a Celica T Sport which has got 190bhp so should be a sweet step up!

Been reading the FAQs and such and very helpful I must say.

Was wondering a few things. Would I be able to come to the meets in my celica just so I can get a feel for the supra and the guys on the forum? Perhaps go for a spin in one?

Just an idea! :D

Apart from that, I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay! :D :D

Hey guys.

I'm new to the forum and don't actually own a mkiv myself. :(

However, been crazy about them and can't wait to get one! Hopefully next Christmas time I'll have about 10k to drop on one! :D

At the moment I drive a Celica T Sport which has got 190bhp so should be a sweet step up!

Been reading the FAQs and such and very helpful I must say.

Was wondering a few things. Would I be able to come to the meets in my celica just so I can get a feel for the supra and the guys on the forum? Perhaps go for a spin in one?

Of course you can. I've attended a couple of meets and I drive a Golf! If I was allowed then I'm sure you will be :D

Oh and welcome!

Hi and welcome :)

Yes you would be more than welcome to attend meets in your Celica, hell, the last 2 meets I've been to, I didn't even take my Supra and I've got no excuse :)

Also, members are usually willing to give people a run out in there cars if they have a genuine interest(if you can, try and bag a go in a big single turbo :D)

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Yaaaaay awesome guys! :D

Should be sweet. Hopefully 'cos I'm in a toyota they won't be too mean! :lol:

I know of two supras in my home town so hopefully can get chatting to those guys.

Anyone from Haslemere here or the surrounding area? Saw a meet not too long ago in the pub just by dolpin's close?

A SWEET clean silver supra is usually parked on that road. :D

Anyone?! :D

Hey guys.

Welcome :)

Get some pics of the Celica up. We all like a Toyota or two...

Also, members are usually willing to give people a run out in there cars if they have a genuine interest(if you can, try and bag a go in a big single turbo :D)

Whatever you do, don't listen to this unless you have no wish to have any money ever again. It's a bit addictive :D

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Haha ok ok!

Well I was hoping on getting a stock TT6 and then BPU and then PHAT single. :D

Here's the old girl just to show I'm not telling porkies:

When I did my BBK:

Sorry for the huge amount of pictures, but if you guys are anything like the celica forum you can't get enough of pictures! :)

Haha ok ok!

Well I was hoping on getting a stock TT6 and then BPU and then PHAT single. :D

Here's the old girl just to show I'm not telling porkies:

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/bc4a571e.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/76ff4ada.jpg

When I did my BBK:

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/IMG_1821.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/IMG_1671.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/IMG_1522.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac243/Edd1Ninety9/IMG_1521.jpg

Sorry for the huge amount of pictures, but if you guys are anything like the celica forum you can't get enough of pictures! :)

Pictures are a must :D

Nice looking Celica, good choice on the TT6!

Guest Edd1Ninety9
Pictures are a must :D

Nice looking Celica, good choice on the TT6!

Cheers bro!

I'll try and get some more up once she's all cleaned.

Got a fair mod's list to accompany her as well. Bought a rotrex supercharger as well which should hopefully be fitting in a few months!

That should see circa 300bhp! :D

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Cheers guys just got back from my lectures! Yawn! All done now though so freeeeeeee for Christmas! :D Lot's of celica modding to be done.

Was just wondering though. Apart from all of the usual car checks one has to do when buying a car, is there anything specifically Supra I should be looking out for?

Had a look at the buyer's guide etc. but just wondering if anyone had some cheeky pearls of wisdom.

Otherwise, I'll be gleaning as much knowledge as I can over the next 12 months and hopefully see a few of you at some meets and then get into Supra ownership. :D

Cheers guys just got back from my lectures! Yawn! All done now though so freeeeeeee for Christmas! :D Lot's of celica modding to be done.

Was just wondering though. Apart from all of the usual car checks one has to do when buying a car, is there anything specifically Supra I should be looking out for?

Had a look at the buyer's guide etc. but just wondering if anyone had some cheeky pearls of wisdom.

Otherwise, I'll be gleaning as much knowledge as I can over the next 12 months and hopefully see a few of you at some meets and then get into Supra ownership. :D

I suppose the best advise is to post up a Supra you may like and see if there is any members close by who are willing to go and have a look with you, most members are usually very helpfull and don't want new members to get stung with a dog.

Another tip is to buy through a trusted company, you will pay a little extra, but you will have peace of mind, Jurgen from JM-Imports on here is good, also is Newera Imports(they can be very pricey though).

Hope that helps :)

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Very helpful already. Thank you very much.

Next I was wondering. What would be the reason for buying a UK over an Import? (J Spec if I interpreted the supra lingo correctly?!)

Why are they more highly sought after?

Is there a huge problem with getting a decent import converting it to mph and upgrading the brakes?

Cheers guys. Super helpful so far. :)

Much better than the celica club! :p

Next I was wondering. What would be the reason for buying a UK over an Import? (J Spec if I interpreted the supra lingo correctly?!)

Is there a huge problem with getting a decent import converting it to mph and upgrading the brakes?

I have a decent import that is converted to mph, And the Monster brakes look stunning on it, Oh yeah and it just happens to be For Sale ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?60-Basic-Supra-Guides

Check the buying and model differences guide for all the information.

There were only like 650 UK Supras made and as they are the highest of the high models then they're very sought after :)

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Just had a look at the chart! Wow so a UK is significantly better then!

So is a UK really worth that extra dosh? How much would I looking to be paying for a UK TT6 with about 80k miles? And how much would the J Spec equivalent be?

Cheers :)

So is a UK really worth that extra dosh? How much would I looking to be paying for a UK TT6 with about 80k miles? And how much would the J Spec equivalent be?

I'm buying a UK TT6 with 77k miles for £12,500. I'd expect what you're looking at, if completely stock would be £10-12k. The equivalent J-spec would be say £6-8k dependant upon condition.

It depends on what you want really, the UK never came as a facelift, might not be a problem for some, but I prefer the facelift Light's, front bumper and dash.

In stock form the main advantage of a UK car is cheaper insurance, bigger brakes(although a lot of J-Specs came with the big brakes) and leather interior

The disadvantage is Softer suspension(although again, that's more personal opinion) they were only made up to 96, they will have seen more salt than most imports and you might not get as much for your money.

Cost wise it depends on condition and if your wanting a facelift import. Expect to pay about 10k for a nice TT6 facelift,£7-£8k for a pre facelift and maybe £15k for a good UK car. But it really does depend on condition, for instance there is an immaculate 96 UK TT6 for sale on her for £20k and I have seen immaculate stock j-spec TT6's go for £15k in stock form.

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Ok judging from the responses now, I think I'd rather get a decent J Spec rather than a ragged UK spec. My budget would be ~£10k and be nice to have change!

Was looking at the model differences on the chart and was thinking it wouldn't be too bad to get a J Spec because if I'm going BPU and single then many of the better things on the UK would have to be swapped anyway.

For example, the UK has the steel bladed turbos (if I understand correctly?!) so they are better than the J Specs. However, if I'm replacing the whole turbo system for a single then that's not a problem. The fuelling would have to be upgraded so the injectors and pump would have to be uprated.

So most of the "better" things about the UK would just be changed out anyway.

Is this a decent basis for getting a J Spec?

How about the things that can't/won't be changed? For example, the larger fuel tank and the diff cooler. Are these really that much better?

Any help much appreciated as always guys. :D

Ok judging from the responses now, I think I'd rather get a decent J Spec rather than a ragged UK spec. My budget would be ~£10k and be nice to have change!

Was looking at the model differences on the chart and was thinking it wouldn't be too bad to get a J Spec because if I'm going BPU and single then many of the better things on the UK would have to be swapped anyway.

For example, the UK has the steel bladed turbos (if I understand correctly?!) so they are better than the J Specs. However, if I'm replacing the whole turbo system for a single then that's not a problem. The fuelling would have to be upgraded so the injectors and pump would have to be uprated.

So most of the "better" things about the UK would just be changed out anyway.

Is this a decent basis for getting a J Spec?

How about the things that can't/won't be changed? For example, the larger fuel tank and the diff cooler. Are these really that much better?

Any help much appreciated as always guys. :D

You would be fine to get a TT6 and have change out of £10k, in regard to those things you have mentioned, I find the J-Spec fuel tank plenty large enough, the diff cooler I can't really see a need for to be honest and in regard to the turbo's, yes they are stronger but when you go BPU you don't get that 'kick' from them when you go BPU.

Guest Edd1Ninety9

Haha ok so no problem really going J Spec then?

Oh I forgot to mention I'd obviously fit the glass headlights and I would want Sparco buckets or something similar anyway so leather interior isn't a biggy.

Any other huge glaring differences that I've overlooked that are potentially worth getting the UK for? :)

@Marc_p what do you mean with regards to your BPU comment? You feel more of a kick in a UK or a J Spec?

Is it you feel less in the UK because the turbos are stronger to start with or is it the J Spec's weaker turbos mean BPU yields less performance? Can you clarify? Hmmm

Thanks! :D

Haha ok so no problem really going J Spec then?

Oh I forgot to mention I'd obviously fit the glass headlights and I would want Sparco buckets or something similar anyway so leather interior isn't a biggy.

Any other huge glaring differences that I've overlooked that are potentially worth getting the UK for? :)

@Marc_p what do you mean with regards to your BPU comment? You feel more of a kick in a UK or a J Spec?

Is it you feel less in the UK because the turbos are stronger to start with or is it the J Spec's weaker turbos mean BPU yields less performance? Can you clarify? Hmmm

Thanks! :D

The fact the the UK's turbo's are stronger does not make them more powerfull, the power output is exactly the same, but when you go BPU the UK's seem to retain the smooth transition from turbo 1 to turbo 2, however with J-spec's you get a real 'holy cr@p' moment when the second turbo comes in. I'm not sure why this is myself, but I'm sure one of the techie guys will be along to clarify things.

Oh and UK's come with dildo's stuck to the front bumper:d

But, obviously I'm going to be a bit biased towards the J-Spec, having always chosen the J-Specs. I'm sure a UK owner will come along and give there view from the other side:)