The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyre time

jackso11

Right, been reading the millions of tyre threads as its that time again (including a thread started by me a year ago) and it seems I am down to this:

Falken FK452 - Although very mixed reviews on these, they are a good price

Toyo T1R - Mixed reviews again and I have never tried them

Goodyear Eagle F1 - Seem to get good reviews again the same as the toyo's

Is there anybody who has tried all of the above and can say which is the best?

I have used Falkens in the past and they seem good to me, but I have not tried either of the other two. Are they worth the extra £40 per tyre, and if they are which is the best out of the 2?

Can I throw another into the mix? I'm using these and rate them very highly, especially in the wet.

The Toyo T1-R is a great tyre, especially when you get some heat into it. They don't last very long though if you like driving enthusiastically.

The F1 is my favourite, but they stopped doing them in the V pattern and only do them in the ayssmetric style instead, which I don't like so much.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

i;m in the market for a set of rear tyres in 285s, looks like I will be going for the falkens; am a fan of GSD3 F1s for years.

Shame they dont do the vredesteins in 285 else I would have gone for them (running them in 245s front and they are excellent tyres)

imi

Had the Falkens on mine until recently and think for the price they are great, I would have replaced them with new Falkens had a pair Vredestiens not come my way.

Right, been reading the millions of tyre threads as its that time again (including a thread started by me a year ago) and it seems I am down to this:

Falken FK452 - Although very mixed reviews on these, they are a good price

Toyo T1R - Mixed reviews again and I have never tried them

Goodyear Eagle F1 - Seem to get good reviews again the same as the toyo's

Is there anybody who has tried all of the above and can say which is the best?

I have used Falkens in the past and they seem good to me, but I have not tried either of the other two. Are they worth the extra £40 per tyre, and if they are which is the best out of the 2?

I have never heard of Vredestiens, but they sit between Toyos/F1s and Falkens price wise. Are they a good tyre?

Very good. I've been seriously impressed with mine. So much so that although I bought them as an interim solution I'm going to get them again. I think Camskill do some good prices on them IIRC.

These are the exact ones I have just put on mine, but word of warning, if you go for the 295s you may need your arches rolled.

just found this for anyone interested, seems like a good site for tyre knowledge

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm

Well....reading some of the reviews on that site has thrown a spanner in the works

Careful with the Falkens. They are TINY. I'm not sure what the script is with the width but my 265's are SERIOUSLY stretched onto my 10" rim. They shouldn't be anywhere near as stretched as they are, going by other peoples 10" rims with 265 tyres. I would recommend at least 10mm more with the Falkens.

Can I throw another into the mix? I'm using these and rate them very highly, especially in the wet.

The Toyo T1-R is a great tyre, especially when you get some heat into it. They don't last very long though if you like driving enthusiastically.

The F1 is my favourite, but they stopped doing them in the V pattern and only do them in the ayssmetric style instead, which I don't like so much.

If you like the V pattern , Uniroyal Rainsport are a fantastic tyre not too sure on sizes but I know they are resonable priced in general

Sizes

http://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/generator/www/de/en/uniroyal/automobile/themes/02_summertyre/01_rainsport2/rainsport2_en.html

Edited by Jellybean
adding link (see edit history)

I have had the Falken and the F1. The Falkens are pretty good in the dry, but very very bad in the wet! :thumbdown:

The F1 is the better tire.

I now have the more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport II :thumbs: Worth every penny!

Damn... you can almost "feel" the tarmac with these tires and they just don't lose grip (i'm just BPU)

my 2 cts

Rubbish, they're one of the better tyres in the wet.

Thanks for the nice reply on that :rolleyes:

You may have a different experience with the Falkens, it does not make my remark RUBBISH sjeeeeeez :stickpoke

Maybe I should add that I am was running 19" 265/35. Still, in MY experiance they were sh$it in the wet!

Peace

Edited by boomstick (see edit history)

I've run falkens on my last 3 cars. I find them a great all round tyre, though when new, they are lethal. Maybe that's what the problem is you've had Boomstick?.

I found they take more scrubbing in than other tyres, but once done, they improve substantially.

I fitted 4 new falkens to my S2000 and it nearly killed me on the first outing. It had been raining all day and the rear end refused to stay straight. A little burnout later though and it was all good. :D

I had falkens on my 19" wheels, 235 front and 255 rears (on my old NA) and I thought they were great.....but I have never had a better tyre than them so they would be great for me. I know have Dunlop sport maxx on the rear and sp9000 on the front, seems ok but I prefer to have the same all round so will be looking for a good tyre that I can get 4 of.

Basically I am willing to spend a bit more and get better tyres, which I have not yet experienced so am looking to find out if they are worth the extra. Falkens seem to get bad reviews in the wet but is does seem to depends very much on the size. I am looking for good tyres on 18" 235 front and 256 rears.