The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Organic clutch options for NA-TT 5spd?

Homer

Can anyone recommend a full face clutch for a 5spd which is capabale of handling up to 500Ib/ft?

Paul Whiffin has some options available at a reasonable price, but the ones for this torque level are only available as puck clutches.

I'd prefer a full plate tyupe clutch, however I'm interested if anyone has any feedback on the feel of a 5spd puck clutch. My experience of them was with some heavy duty ones on singles so not sure if all are as unmanageble. I really want something that feels like stock..

TIA :)

Never been really involved in none stock N/A clutches, but you want either a bigger diameter unit, which is all but impossible, given a fixed maximum flywheel diameter via the bellhousing internal diameter and starter position, or more clamping load. You are right looking for an organic driven plate, and you want one with damper springs in the hub, not an unsprung one, for a nice smooth, quiet, progressive action. Good luck. I wonder if Helix do anything?

• 2 weeks later...
Never been really involved in none stock N/A clutches, but you want either a bigger diameter unit, which is all but impossible, given a fixed maximum flywheel diameter via the bellhousing internal diameter and starter position, or more clamping load. You are right looking for an organic driven plate, and you want one with damper springs in the hub, not an unsprung one, for a nice smooth, quiet, progressive action. Good luck. I wonder if Helix do anything?

Thanks Chris, Helix don't appear to do one for the 5spd, but have sent them an email.

I did post this a few days ago, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?234853-Time-for-a-new-clutch-(ACT-EXtreme)..

lots of people use this clutch in Supra Forums and i have seen a few Evo owners using them to with no complains.

But looks like no one here in the forum have tried them.

The organic clutch is only rated to 350 lb/ft, so sadly isn't going to really be suitable for my plans. The only ones for the 5spd with a higher capacity are puck clutches and I really want to avoid those if possible.

The highest rated organic one I can find is the South Bend DXD stage 4, at 390 lb/ft... :(

myself and dr jekyl bought some from the US puck clutches that is,Obviously i havnt put mine through its paces but it is a smooth transaction and not too heavy.Craig has been doing track days with his so may be worth a shout to him,plus they were a good price eaton clutches i think they were.

Thanks for the feedback Brendan, I'll PM Craig for his opinions :)